Friday, October 06, 2006

IT WORKED!

I'm going to talk numbers just for illustration...we have a big church, so we should have big numbers in our youth ministry. Remember, numbers in youth ministry do not always equate to health. While I think we're pretty healthy, we can do better...and have some ideas for 2007/2008 I'm pretty excited about and think will work incredibly well.

We are currently bumping 500 in our middle school program. That means we have students sitting over a dozen rows back. Every year as we've grown, focus has become more and more of an issue. In my mind, that's totally understandable. Personally, I can't sit more than four or five rows back; otherwise, my eyes and focus start to drift even though the messages are absolutely amazing, new and fresh. So, I shouldn't be surprised, when it happens to students. (Note to parents: maximize the time and impact of church - sit your family as close to the front as possible).

So, what's the solution you might ask? Well, here is one that I think is going to work for us. We have limited building space. It's being used by many. Adding another day of youth ministry to the weekly schedule by subdividing the ministry further is just not an option at this moment. Therefore, we tried a new thing this past Wednesday. After worship, we sent half of the group out of the main auditorium into breakout groups, while I taught the half that stayed. Then, about half way through the evening we switched, those that heard the message went into breakout groups and the other half came in for the message. It went shockingly smooth the first night. We still have a timing and transition issue to get master, but I think this is going to seriously work for us. Nearly three dozen of our leaders have reported back that they absolutely loved it. Can you tell I'm excited about the whole thing?

The other thing I'm excited about is the breakout groups (aka Eagle's Nests). We worked really, really, really, really hard getting them just right, hooking the right students to the right leaders. Never before in the history of Oasis did I hear so many leaders afterwards say, "Judy, I love my Eagle's Nests." That's the power of team. I had numerous leaders do the preliminary work so that I could pour over the final connection stage. I think if I had done all the initial linking of students with friends, I would have been just about ready to puke when it came time to for the final connection stage. Actually, I've been to that point in previous years. By the time I reached the final stage, I wasn't as careful making the connections as I was this time around. It was quite the process putting 700 students in breakout groups. To hear the words I heard the other night, it was worth every second. Don't get me wrong, we still have some tweaking to do. One group in particular had too many guys and one had two few. We'll adjust a few things this week and keep tweaking as we go.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This makes me reminiscent of the when we would split CIA and Lifeline and have half in small groups while the other half were in the auditorium (at New Life.) Good times.

Mark E. Eades said...

Great idea and I like the split part. Question if I may:
1) does your teaching in large group and the small group go together?

2) What were some of the tools you used to decided how you broke your different groups down?

I know with all that you are doing answering quesions on your blog is probably not a high priorty. Just asking some questions that might help at least me think through your set up.

Judy Gregory said...

Mark,
I love answering questions about strategy.
1. My discussion questions/activities in the breakout groups do go with the large group teach time.
2. As far as breaking the group down. The first three weeks of Oasis we do not go into breakout groups. Instead, we are having them fill out registation cards with the usual info on them, plus answer the question "If you could be in a breakout group with two friends who go to Oasis, who would they be?" Then we go into a lengthy process.
a. Enter the cards into our database.
b. Pull pertinent info from a report and print on a 2" x 4" cards...
NAME
GRADE
CHURCH (we get a few)
INVITED BY (we ask this also)
SCHOOL
FRIEND 1
FRIEND 2
c. Begin linking the cards together by friends they requested. We try to give them both of their friends, but only guarantee them one.
d. Once everyone is linked, I put the 6th and 6/7th groups on one table and the 7th, 7/8th, 8th on another table. Usually if a 7th grader puts down a 6th grader for a friend, they are a little younger in age or maturity.
e. Then I begin arranging them by school and affinity (skaters, athletes, etc.).
f. The last thing I do is put the "best fit leaders" with the group.
g. Last week there were about 35-45 kids in each of the 12 groups. Each of the 12 groups are assinged a location in the church. I put 5-8 leaders in each group and let them subdivide themselves once they get to their location when it comes to discussion time. That way, if one leader is gone, they can figure out how to redistribute and don't depend on me.
h. Each of the 12 breakout groups has a coach or two to help facilitate the group.
Hope that helps.
Judy

Judy Gregory said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Yeah I'm so exited about this year. I have 6 awesome 6th grade girls and 1 awesome 8th grade girl in my sub group of Soul Candy.
-Erin
LIC