Saturday, July 12, 2008

Yellow River and a Mother's Prayers

After a really late night of painting, I was up early this morning to go hang out with some middle school kids at Yellow River. Honestly, I don't really want to know why it's called Yellow River. It can't be good.

Good times were had by all, but what I loved most was the coversation about Jesus. Junior Leonidas, one of our high school leaders, is annointed/gifted/not sure what you want to call it, but off-the-hook. Maybe I don't know him well enough yet, but I've never met a high school kid like this one in all my years ... no joke. I attribute his AMAZINGNESS to his parents. There are nine Leonidas kids and they are all incredible. I told his older sister that their mom should write a book. You can produce one great kid, maybe two, with a little love and luck ... but to produce nine means you've got something going on that others need to know about. She began to tell me stories. The one that grabbed my attention is about their mom's prayer life for her kids. The sister laughing talked about the times she would wake up with her head half saturated with annointing oil from her mother's prayers the night before. Evidently their mom frequently prays over them while they sleep. Now maybe that sounds extreme, but if you met these kids, you'd have "buy in" for sure.

Anyway back to the conversation with Junior... he was talking about a Bible study Corey, our worship leader, had done that marked him. I asked him what Corey had said, partly because I was curious, mostly because I know if we reiterate something, it helps to seal it inside of us. Well, a couple of students were around when he was telling the story and it lead to an incredible conversation and questions about Jesus. Loved, loved, loved it.

No comments: