Tuesday, May 29, 2007

There are enough cookies to go around

So, I got up Monday morning and realized my cat's litter needed changed. I have no idea why that was on my mind, but I jumped into the car and headed to Wal-Mart. As I entered into Wal-Mart's parking lot, I passed this lady holding a sign that said something like this, "Help, my wallet was stolen, and I can't pay my rent or feed my animals." I drove right by her and felt instant guilt or conviction, I'm not sure which. I went in and got my litter and came back out. I sat in my car and watch scores of people do exactly what I did, drive right on by. The story of the Good Samaritan came to mind. It's one thing to read the story, entirely different to watch it played out before your very eyes.

I decided to go and have her tell me her story. Her name was Sue and I'm not sure if what she said was true, but I'm not sure it mattered. Supposedly, she was a widow and had her Social Security check stolen at Meijers earlier this month. I told her I can't give her any cash, but wanted to help. So I went in and bought some animal food (and more litter too), loaded it in her car, gave her my cell number and told her to have her landlord contact me. I don't anticipate a call, but threw it out there if indeed the landlord could confirm her story. I envisioned her trying to pull a fast one and having one of her relatives call, as well as taking the animal food back and pocketing the cash. Both thoughts I pushed out of my mind. This whole scenario felt like it was more about me and how I would respond and less about her. I'm not going to go as far as to say that it was a "test" but sense that my response might help to keep my heart soften to "God ordained" moments and divine appointments. I'm not sure I handled the situation correctly, but know that I tried.

(Don't get the title to this post, watch Rob's message from this past weekend at gccwired.com)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A stolen SS check can be replaced.

She may (or may not) have been telling the truth and some temp help may have been needed. It was smart of you to offer the items rather than cash. Most of the people doing this are scamming people.

Sorry for those really in need, but I live in the hood and have heard more of these stories than I could count.

It would be great if the church had a list of resources where people in need can go for help, if it doesn't already. This helps empower people rather than allowing them to remain in the position of a victim. They in turn can empower the next person that is in need. It's a form of "pay it forward" on a sociological level.

For the record, Catholic churches (those without schools to support) are often great at helping people out in a pinch. I have a Catholic landlord who shared that with me. ;o)

Rhonda