Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Revolvoing Door

Last night was a trip and reminded me how much I love our students at MC Atlanta. My office was like a revovling door from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., as one student left another would come to hangout and talk. First it was Jorge, then Rey, then Scotto, then Phillip and then when we had a power outage Nathan, Daniel and Scotto came in and chilled for awhile. I called it quits a little after 2 a.m. before my lamp died (it is plugged into this big old surge protect that operates as a back up battery for my computer). My relational tank was on full when they left ... I talked with one about his friend, another about youth ministry, another about family and another about his outstanding work. All the conversations were amazing but the two most memorable ones were with Rey and Daniel.

Rey got a whole years worth of youth ministry training in one week. One of our middle school students threw a fist at youth group last week. Instead of handling it myself, I coached Rey through it. He did an incredible job from talking to the boys involved to the mother of the kid who threw the fist. He felt the victory of one of the student really hearing him and, as a result, making positive choices...and the defeat of the other who really didn't get it. Rey is an amazing leader and will rock the world as a youth pastor some day (actually he really is one now, but someday will have the official title).

I had never really had much of a coversation with Daniel until last night. I learned about his wonderful parents, how his family is rallying in difficult economic times and that his church home back in North Carolina is Steven Furtick's Elevation Church. Daniel is an amazing young man full of optimism and Jesus. I am feeling the need for a road trip to North Carolina with a carload of MC'ers soon.

They are all incredible young men of God that if I had a kid, I would want them to hang out with. Right now we are in the midst of Experience where we showcase MC Atlanta to 60+ potential students next year. The hallways have been full of energy all day. Tonight is quiet though, our students are back in their apartments spoiling our guests like only MC Atlanta can spoil them.

No comments: