Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Post #2 - Mexico - Day 2

Today I remembered why I absolutely love Back2Back. One word ... organized, organized, organized! At Back2Back, there's enough to do and tools for everyone to get the job done.

We started out today doing work at another children's home, El Retiro Juvenil. El Retiro has about 48 kids. The team kicked tail by working on the ropes course, clearing brush, hanging lights and moving gravel to level out an outdoor type hut's floor before the pouring of cement in a couple of weeks. The hut will be used by the children for meals and activities.

After lunch, we did team building exercises in the back wooded area of the children's home. Why does a children's home have a kickin' awesome ropes course.? Well, most of the homes are near the city and they support themselves by selling baked goods. However, El Retiro Juvenil is in a more remote area, so they built a ropes course in a effort to bring businesses out there for team building exercises. We had a blast and laughed a lot with Juan, Antonio, Jose and Saul.

After our ropes course extravaganza, we played with children at the home and ate dinner with them. A good time was had by all as we showed the love of Jesus through our actions, attitudes and smiles. Too sum up today ... we worked and played hard.

I'm up blogging but everyone else crashed hard tonight after debriefing. It was a great day.

My highlights...

1. Meagan taking a "Leap of Faith" by scurrying up 40' foot of a tree and jumping off. I was so proud. I had a great talk with her at dinner as she told me her story.













2. Julianna did everything today. She cleared brush, did all the ropes course elements and played with kids without the use of her wheel chair. She knocked it out of the park.













3. James was a beast and such a great leader on the ropes course.












4. I had a great conversation about life lessons learned over the last year with Ashley.

5. Kayla is a gifted leader in countless ways.












6. Missy and Adrian just make me laugh ... all the time. I need that.
7. It was easy to tell that Amanda has climbed a few trees in her lifetime.
8. I had no idea how funny Garrett is ... he worked like a machine with the wheelbarrow too!

More later, the team is amazing. I've got to get some sleep, but here are a couple more pics before I go...

No comments: