Saturday, April 19, 2008

Post #7- Mexico - Del Norte 2

Today we went back to Del Norte to work for a couple of hours before lunch. After lunch, we took the children back with us to the base for a pool party, some singing and crafts. They loved it. Juanita was my little girl for the day. I'm not going to lie. If I thought I could get away with packing her in my suit case I would. I think all the MC students thought the same way about the kids they were watching as well.

After the children left, they opened the market to purchase all the Mexico junk you typically find in the real market place. The good news is that all the proceeds help the education fund. We then moved into debriefing where we began as usual ... sharing our mental picture or snap shot of the day. We concluded our week with an ice cream party for the team and the families at the base. Good times were had by all.

My highlights of the week...
1. Watching Brian Mizell leading the team in made up, on the spot hand motions for Spanish songs I don't think he had much of a clue on what the words were. I'm not sure what Brian Mizell got on the plane with us, but it wasn't the same one we had in the ATL. No other words could describe him but ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS. He made me laugh so much I thought for sure I was going to wet my pants on more than one occasion.
2. Witnessing Megan say yes to courage and no to insecurity and fear. Watching her jump from a 40' tree on the ropes course made me grin ear to ear.
3. I can honestly say I didn't expect much out of Julianna in the way of work because of her health, but I was totally ok with that. As I told her, I needed her to bring energizing and encouraging spirit more than anything. I got that and so much more. She worked like a beast. I wish her parents could have seen some of the places she's been this week ... jumping out of a 40' tree, on top of a 12' wall slapping buckets of cement into holes, pushing a 50 lb wheelbarrow, lugging around a 40 lb kid and the list goes on. Outside of the airport, she was in her wheelchair maybe a total of 15 minutes, probably more like 10. Watching her this week was a beautiful site to behold.
4. Speaking of encouragement, Lisa takes the prize. What a sweet spirit and such an encourager ... I had no idea ... it was absolutely wonderful.
5. Watching Amanda scurry up the tree and play with kids made me incredible grateful about the fact that she leads in our junior high program.
6. There only one word for what Alissa shared in the circle tonight ... WOW! I'm excited to see what the next six weeks have in store for her.
7. Watching Kayla in action was such a site to behold. I don't think she's ever met a stranger in all of her life. The joy she lives out before us has been an encouragement each and every day.
8. I will never forget Brandi scaling the scaffold two or three stories up to weather proof the wall. You can face your fears or run from it. I think long ago Brandi decided to face them.
9. Kat got a 24 hour flue bug a couple of days ago. She had a puke feast one night and I hung out with her on the bathroom floor. I've never seen anyone handle being sick so well. Once again, our choices make all the difference in the world.

2 comments:

Corey Mann said...

Thanks for letting me travel along...tell Matt I said hello.

Anonymous said...

Loved all the pictures & updates. It sounds like Jesus used your team in a big way last week.

Chris