Monday, August 17, 2009

The heart of our students

I'm cleaning my office.  It's a tradition to have a clean office before I go on a week of vacation.  I'm 3 trash bags in and about 1/2 done.  I just came across what the students wrote the last time I preached in Oxygen.  

I asked "If you were transported to heaven and were face-to-face with Jesus...and only had time to ask one questions...what would it be?  Most of the questions you would expect...what is my life purpose, when will the world end, why do you allow sin in the world, etc.  But there were a couple that really got me...

1.  Why did you allow the terrible things in my life to happen?
2.  Jesus, could you give me a hug?
3.  Why did you take the ones I love away from me?
4.  Do you accept me for being gay?
5.  Can I come home to you Lord?
6  Does my dad have kids we don't know about?
7.  If my dad knew that I was around, would he love me?

The thoughts and questions that are bouncing around in our students heads are important.  Are we giving them adequate time to voice them?
  

2 comments:

Phil said...

Wow. Thanks for the reminder to look beyond the surface for the story.

Jesus, give us your eyes.

Angels among us said...

Judy
Thanks for the questions to answer - great for small groups to look at :)

I am bringin a team to Atlanta for Catalyst - any chance we could connect?

Kevin
kevin.cobb@corinthreformed.org