Monday, August 31, 2009

Tears

Seldom am I moved to tears, but when I was home, it was truly a kiss from Jesus. I saw a number of people, including a bunch of my Oasis kids at Chris’ house. It was truly a testimony of the beauty that unfolds when you stick around long enough to see it. Only God could have brought out of those middle school years of utter awkwardness what I witnessed.

Kira had a rocky pre-adolescent time to say the least. The incredible, gentle young lady she’s become is completely mouth-dropping. I’m sure she is not without teenage drama, but wow she is amazing! Plus, the beauty in which she reads and writes is a sight to behold.

Whitney, where in the world did that amazing voice come from? The girl doesn’t even need a musical instrument to back her up. Some might think, “Judy you’re just being nice.” Nope, I say what I mean and mean what I say. As a 15 year old, I’d put her voice on any stage. I was sooo stunned, I told her if she did two trimesters with a “B” average, I would give her my Baby Taylor. I’m not sure what I was thinking, but at the same time felt compelled to invest in her future. Watch out world.

Watching Scotty play guitar is an art form all to itself. Words cannot describe it, only seeing it does it justice. Seriously, I’m without words just thinking about it.

Neil is the self-proclaimed perfect child. If there ever was one, he would be the poster child for it. He’s kind, a servant, and as smart as all get out. He dreams big dreams and I’m pretty confident he will achieve them.

Hilary’s art form comes through hair styles. Her personality and skills will make getting your hair cut healing, fun and an experience. She’s not just good at it, she’s AMAZING!

I remember when Zach was so spacey, you’d always have to keep your eye on him. Not anymore. He’s a grown, serving, young man with integrity and song writing skills.

Evan M, the boy with a heart of gold, has had his moments in recent years. But, the words that came out of his mouth in just the few brief minutes I had with him let me know, “Evan, the man, will do just fine.” Part of his destiny will be the faithful friend you can call any hour of the day when in need. He will be the poster child for the Good Samaritan one day, if he isn’t already.

Evan B, I’m pretty convinced will be the shocker of them all when it comes to transformation. When we talked about his heart to go into youth ministry, I was not talking to the awkward boy of yesterday but the God-honoring, reflective, man of today.

With Kyle, you will never meet a young man of his age more pure of heart. There is a stability he walks with that you just can’t quite put your finger on. He is about as steady as they come.

And when did the Wolfram boys go from toddlers to pre-teens…and Vanessa from a baby in my arms at the hospital to a lil cheerleader? It was so fun seeing them out on the football field. However, I know the days ahead for Don & Roxanne as the kids begin to enter middle school. How formative, how amazing…how rough! Just hold on Roxanne, the other side will be a sight to behold.

I could go on and talk about the amazing young ladies the Marzke girls are (I’m so jealous of their track and field skills and am stunned at how the two youngest have grown, all three are so very beautiful), the humor and intelligence that Corey still possesses, the beauty of Azaria… but I’m sure if I do I will leave someone out so I’ll stop.

Others post-party…
I absolutely loved hearing my nephew, Josh, talk about the passion he has for the Spyder. I haven’t seen that twinkle in his eye when it comes to serving in the sweet spot of his shape in awhile.

Seeing Trevor in his Penn football gear was way too fun. I could only stay for a few minutes so I didn’t get to see him play, but I know it’s nothin’ but passion on the field. But, I have a feeling someday you’ll find him the most happy catching waves oceanside on a surfboard.

Hearing Tristan say he is playing drums at the Elkhart campus made my heart smile. I remember the beginning days of Oasis where he led the band from behind the drums. Who does that? Like Scotty worships with his guitar, Tristan worships with his sticks. He’s a fun drummer to watch. I will always hold the late night talks with Karissa and him near and dear to my heart.

Seeing the incredible young woman my niece, Ashlyn, is becoming is amazing as well. She’ll graduate with two degrees in May – Biology and Psychology. I won’t hold it against her that they are from Purdue. She makes fun of my I.U. Accounting degree, but I’m ok with that as long as she makes more money than I do My starting salary out of college will be hard for her to beat. My salary in ministry…not so much. I wouldn’t miss her college graduation for anything.

This is way too long of post, but just thought you should know and, since I don’t journal, thought I should record it somewhere.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

I totally agree with this. Carole, Chris and I talked for a little while about our former students too. I'm am so incrediably proud of them. I remember when Gabby and Kira were just attending Child Care.Then when they got to 5th grade and they could really attend Oasis as an actual student, they were so excited. I have been doing this long enough that i have seen former students graduate college, get married, have kids... Sometimes i have to fight discourgement when i see my former students fail and i wonder if i made a difference. I try and focus on the positive.
There will be a party in heaven because of your influence. I'm proud to be a part of your team. Rock on, Judy.

Hilary said...

Its crazy to think of all the talent that I have around me in my life! I have been so blessed to have my friends/family. Having everyone back together at the cook-out made me feel like I was home again!
You talked all about your students that have grown up to be amazing people, but you left out a big part of why they are all so amazing. . . the parents and leaders! You guys are a big part of who we are today! you guys were always there when we needed you, you picked us up when we fell, you called us out when needed, you told us we could do anything in life, and you showed us what a family should be like!
So thanks Judy, thanks to all the leaders, and thanks to all the parents! Thanks for being my family, I wouldnt want it any other way! You guys are all so amazing!