Sunday, May 28, 2006

Second Greatest Commandment: Love Others Well

One of our students lost her mom to cancer this week. While I know my Oasis friend and her mom will one day be reunited in heaven for all eternity, I know she will feel the loss in days to come.

After a bunch of Oasis leaders went to the viewing, we were talking at Hacienda how to help our friend in the days to come. We came up with a pretty good plan and even put it on the calendar. If there is a lesson I've learned over and over again lately, it's "what gets put on the calendar is what gets done." If you don't put things on the calendar, one day just slips into the other and you are left with nothing but your good intentions. Good intentions won't get you where you want to go in life.

I am so proud of our leaders, numerous have called our friend and there were over a dozen of us who showed up at the funeral. If there is something I want students to catch at Oasis, it's how to love others well (second, of course, to the first commandment of loving God well). I'm committed to learning how to do that better in the coming days. I think sometimes in life we are afraid to because it means developing new relationships when we can't even maintain old ones well. We've got to sort through that and figure it out.

1 comment:

amberWIRE said...

Judy,
You are incredible! I love learning more about why you do what you do. You are making awesome strides and bringing hundreds of students with you on the journey! You are a reflection of Jesus. I am so proud of you!
Love,
Amber (Formally Beeson) Cox