Thursday, April 09, 2009

NYLC 09 - Fully Between Someone Else And Jesus

The conference was a smashing success. How do I know? Because countless have told me. And after spending part of my vacation watching it, I know why they are saying what they are saying. It's funny, but there is so much work to do in the moment...to make what is happening around the people seem effortless, that I didn't catch most of the conference. It can be disheartening if you let it...that is until you ask yourself the question of "why do you do what you do anyway?" There is a time for it to be "fully between you and Jesus," but then there are times you make the sacrifice for it to be "fully between someone else and Jesus." That's what NYLC 09 was for me. However, it wasn't without countless personal highlights, like...

1. Watching youth pastors get real honest on some tough issues using 2,000 key pads that registers audience responses.
2. Watching Jeanne be able to do what she does best without much concern for the details that our team had well covered.
3. Doing my two breakout sessions despite the fact that I lost 80% of my voice day one.
4. Praying with people on Wednesday night at the conclusion of the evening service.
5. Watching the MC Atlanta team in action. Wow, they were off-the-hook impressive.
6. Seeing what a difference the Cadre makes when it comes to a conference. The day after the conference was truly like a family reunion with all of them. However, typically you're ready for family reunions to come to an end, but I wasn't ready for this one to.
7. Seeing some typically quiet MC Atlanta students rise up and own some things that were ginormous ... they nailed it.
8. Each night I would steal a few seconds away and go to the top balcony area where there were these cool side sections. From there you could see countless worshipping...most with hands help high, while others were praying. It was a site to behold and the mental Kodak moment of the conference for me.
9. Hanging out with my sister, Carole, Chris and Karen. I miss them. They were and still are my armor bearers. Hopefully, I am for them as well.
10. Knowing the impact the conference had on the "youth ministry teams" present. There are times when it's just plain good for your team to hear someone else say the exact same things you've been saying. Plus, it's good to steal away three days for teams to be together when nothing else is pulling at you (or them) and all the work is being done by someone else. I remember the impact a trip my team took at Granger to a Saddleback youth conference. I loved being able to provide for others what they provided for me. Also, the diversity of the speakers (Ed Young, Judah Smith, Chris Hill, Greg Stier, Craig Gross, etc.) ensured the different personalities on the team would connect with at least a few of the speakers, if not all.

After the conference, and months of sleepless or little sleep nights, we went on a five day cruise. Sounds glamorous, I know. However, I literally slept 17 hours or more each day for 4 of the 5 days. Sounds like I'm exaggerating, but I so am not. Crazy...I know. I think I was on the verge of exhaustion and didn't know it. I could tell it in my emotions, but no place else. That's a whole lot of sleep for someone that typically sleeps 4-6 hours tops a night. It was good for my soul and great preparation for this weekend when I've set aside time for it to be "fully between me and Jesus."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judy....thanks for all your devotion to NYLC and what the team did. It so blessed Ken and I and I know that our team is going be grateful that we were there!! I am so happy that you got sleep.....can't wait to see you very soon!

Rachel

Anonymous said...

Judy...I'm Megan M's mom...shes @ McAtl 2nd yr...anyway... THANKS for ALL yall do as a team in Atlanta. Thanks for the everyday mentoring... NYLC efforts...Armor bearer stuff... Thanks for carrying a torch of leadership... and thanks for a year ago sharing your "deciding to get off the bench story" with us in service... It nudged me to get up!

by the way jeanne said we could get notes from her services online but I cant figure out where to go can you help me... thanks Beth Guidry jbmjd1@aol.com