Wednesday, August 02, 2006

DAY 2 - GULFPORT

Day two down here in Gulfport and a bunch more projects got marked off the list here at the church! The students all responded really well to hearing what Pastor Tim had to say about what all has been happening through this tiny church and I believe that inspired everyone to work hard and press in to get as much done as we could!

The painting crews got 99% of the painting finished, which has been a hefty project. We are painting over wood paneling which requires 2 full coats of primer/sealer and 2 if not 3 full coats of paint. The crews finished up 2 more rooms, all the doors that were left and nearly finished a 3rd room that just needs some touchups after we get more paint.

The carpeting crew continued to crank things out finishing another two full rooms that the guys are now happy to be sleeping in instead of the unfinished floor model that my guys are sleeping in for one more night!

An outside crew went to town clearing trash, empty boxes and other miscellaneous items from under the food tent. This was a huge help to the church as they are getting ready to reopen their food bank August 10. That same crew also helped pick up trash on the property and helped do some weeding in the front of the church.

An entirely seperate group headed off to a partnering church where we will be having VBS tomorrow afternoon. They were able to help prep things for not only VBS, but for the church to finally be able to have Sunday school again. The team cleared out piles and piles and rooms and rooms of old stuff that was destroyed by the hurricane. They then got to cleaning and got the rooms all ready for things to come.

Judy kept busy making runs to Wal-Mart and Lowe's to keep our very fast moving work crews equipped for their next jobs and I made a quick jaunt to Alabama with Sean, one of the key volunteers here at the church. We hopped in the large box truck and Sean let me drive to Theodore, Alabama which was about an hour away. We met Pastor Tim and his wife at the Bay Area Food Bank where we picked up around 3600 pounds of food and personal care items that we will be able to unload, pack and distribute over the next two days.

While I was gone, a pretty cool thing happened. See all week long there have been people that would stop by the church asking if there was any food and unfortunately we had to tell them the distribution center wouldn't be open till the 10th, but as we could we handed out a few sandwiches and bottled waters. One story turned out a little different.

Ricky, stopped by in the afternoon and began talking to some of the leaders. Ricky is a Vietnam veteran who had lost much of what he had and had just gotten out of the hospital today after having a heart attack. When he came to the church, many of the kids and leaders got involved. Some were hearing his story (alongside plenty of adult supervision) while others jumped in the van with Judy for yet another run to Wal-Mart to get some items for Ricky. While in Wal-Mart, Garrett H. suggested they get him a sleeping bag, so they did. Becky suggested that he might need some finger nail clippers, so they got them. They got him a rolling suitcase so that he would be able to take his things with him, without having to carry them all. As they got back and walked up to Ricky to give him the items, one of the leaders said aloud, "Look Ricky! It's a sleeping bag like you just told me you wished you had!" And as Judy went to shake his hand, she noticed that he had overgrown and undercleaned fingernails which would likely get good use from those finger nail clippers.

The kids are being the hands and feet of Jesus down here in Gulfport. They aren't talking about how someone should make a difference, they aren't complaining that nobody is doing something down here and they're not complaining that they are the ones to be doing this. These kids, YOUR kids, get it. They know what it means to show people Jesus and they are doing that everyday through their actions and words! You should be proud! Proud of their work, proud of their encouragement and proud of their attitudes! I count it a blessing that I am able to be down here with your kids, serving the people of Gulfport!

Tomorrow holds wrapping up a few more work projects at the church along with some food distribution work and preparation for VBS in the afternoon! It will be a great day!

Continue to post your comments! That has become a very enjoyable and looked forward to time of the day when we take ten minutes to read aloud your encouragements, prayers and even your "I love you"s !

-Johnny-

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

John Michael,
What a moving storing about the guy named Ricky-totally awesome. It sounds like the team is working there tails off and getting alot accomplished. So proud of the whole team! Stay strong and lead well!!! Lots of love, mom

Corey Mann said...

John, this is where your storytelling skills come out. I needed to hear about Ricky, (I mean Jesus...least of these right?) I can only imagine what an hour drive to Alabama was like. You are not one to waste good conversation time. Hope you had a moment to yourself. Sounds like you guys are developing some workaholics!

Judy-Mexico has screwed me up! I have such a pit-of-my-stomach want and need to keep it moving and just be a part of something and seriously-your trip and the stories coming back to us is helping with that. It continues doesn't it? It was like passing a baton on Saturday-Sunday. I forgot to tell you, I came up to church pretty early Sunday morning to pray with your team but I think I missed out. I was rocking my Gulfport shirt (which has gotten some really positive comments).

Evan-I finished 1st Timothy yesterday and jumped into Matthew 6 for a swim. I wanted to relearn some stuff about prayer that Lifeline did earlier this year. I also wanted to test drive my new "G2-05!" It is too thin, but luckily I bought some "shorties" and they are the "07's!" Its those little things in life that make us happy. Like a friendship with you. Evan, I have been praying specifically for you and your amazing family. I don't know if you quite understand what it means to be able to do what you are doing this week with your family by your side. Look around this world-that kind of stuff doesn't happen. So love your mom and dad well, love and support your sister-let her know that Mexico needs to be on her list of things to do next summer.

REST OF TEAM-What I wouldn't give to be with you this week. This is bigger than a water park event. This does have more impact on our lives than a game of dodgeball. Honor and obey Judy, and John, and the rest of the leaders. They are working on YOUR best interest. They will not lead you astray. And if one of you sheep gets lost, they will come-a-running.

p.s. JOHN, (sorry this is long winded) God is about to do something today that could be amazing. Please pray for us back home when you are doing what you do today. More on this when you get home.

I love OASIS!
I love John and I love Judy!
I love Trident Splash because it's Fresh and Fruity!

Anonymous said...

Hey everybody,

Hearing about what you guys are doing down there is such an inspiration. I just wanted to say that I am so proud of each and every one of you that decided to go. You are the hands and feet of God this week, And when you are working and you feel like you are going to drop just remember that. God is going to do something special through you this week. Don't give up just keep working.
JUDY and JOHN- You guys are awesome!! You guys are such a great example of being the Hands and feet of Jesus!!!

Keep it Jesus,
Shelby T.

amberWIRE said...

Amber's thought for the day

"Everytime I think of all you Oasis Maniacs I find myself spelling the work M-I-S-S-I-S-S-I-P-P-I letter by letter in my head. It sort of rolls off the tongue you know."

We're praying for you!
Love,
Amber (Beeson) Cox

Anonymous said...

It's very quiet at the Coney home this week...just me, Scout and Mo hanging out, doing laundry, etc. Peyton and Kelsey, you'll love The Devil Wears Prada...saw it with Martha...funny! Having dinner with Patti tonight. I love not cooking! Bought some fresh crickets for Ching Chang, Dalton, and he's doing well but would love some fresh sand when you get back! I'm so proud of you all and can just picture you painting, cleaning, helping with carpet laying or just whatever needs to be done. Of course, you know, Judy, that you have at least 2 wannabe professional shoppers on your trip in Peyton and Kelsey. Utilize their talents when you need to run to the stores! You're all tremendous warriors for God's army! I continue to pray for you. Lesley

Anonymous said...

Hey TEAM -

I love hearing the stories of your work and your faith. You are solid. Solid. Solid.

Stand strong for Jesus. I am proud of you. Remember you are ALWAYS a witness (either a good one...or not) so LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE!

Sheila and I are praying for you.
Stay faithful.

- Poppa "B"

Anonymous said...

Oasis Team,
The work you are doing is life changing.What you all are doing will effect more people that are in Gulf Port.,It will change the world....

The pride we feel in our hearts is unmeasurable.
Love Dad & Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Garret(LaCluyse) just wanted to let you know we all are proud of what all of you are doing.Praying for you all.Keep up the good hard work.
Love Ya,Miya,Al,AJ& Kendra

Anonymous said...

Austin Patterson -

The more we read about the work you all are doing down there the more and more proud we become of all of you! Keep up the great work you all are doing. I know that you will all make a great impact for God in Gulfport and God will have a great impact on you!!

We love and miss you!

Mom, Dad and Miranda

Anonymous said...

Steph and gang I cannot tell you how proud I am of you. You are all so awesome. Keep up the GREAT work and enjoy.
Love You
Gram

Anonymous said...

Hey Team!
I realize that most of you do not know us, but my wife Julie and I are missionaries from GCC serving in Monterrey, Mexico. I have jumped on the blog a couple of times this week to see how you guys are doing and I'm incredibly proud of how God is using you!
You are the hands and feet of Christ in every interaction that you're having, every project you're doing. Tomorrow you will be loving on kids in the name of Jesus in VBS, and you'll be feeding the hungry in the name of Christ as you pass out food from the foodbank in the next days -- what you're doing in life changing -- I pray that you truly allow it to change you, in the same moment that you're impacting those around you this week.

Keep up the great work! Can't wait to hear more great stories.

John and Judy -- you guys are incredible leaders -- I know your team is blessed to have you! Enjoy every moment, keep lovin' on your team, and run hard for the finish line! We'll see you in a few days!

Love,
Matt (and Julie) Cooper

Anonymous said...

Hey Johnny, Judy, & OASIS TEAM...
it's great to hear of all the works you are doing down south, we've been praying hard for you and are so proud that when gcc sends out the warriors, they fight hard for the kingdom of God...finish strong, it's in the final days that you will need glory strength to push on both mentally and physically...we love you and are so proud of all of you.

yours in the name of the cleanest camp adventure cluster EVER...
wait for it, wait for it...
O X F O R D ! ! !

patrick & jen thompson

ps. evan mcfarland you are a hottie!!!