Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Rippin' It Up Junior High Style in the ATL

Ok, I'm pretty stoked, we had 32 kids tonight in our Junior High 02 Group (42 with leaders), four times more than when we started two months ago. What is even cooler is that 29 of them are signed up to go on the retreat this weekend. I laughed to myself when I looked around the room tonight, 31 of the students were Latino or African American and one 1 was white. An exact opposite of what I had up north. I had no idea what their names were, so I took their pictures tonight. I laughed again when I tried to spell their names ... Chardonay, Nephtaly, Saba, Vonciel, Baqi, Cree, Tanisha .... I love this place!

I'm going to have "dance" this weekend. We've got another 35 youth pastors in the second year Cadre coming in to observe the retreat starting tomorrow and then debrief, among other things, on Monday at Jeanne's house, and I just got word that they need me to run a rap (discussion) group. I'm cannot tell you how excited I am to actually spend some significant amount of time with some of our students this weekend, but wonder how well I'll do at the balancing act. Save the turkey, I think I'll be sleeping through Thanksgiving.




4 comments:

Rhonda Redman said...

You just don't realize how vanilla that Granger upbringing is until you get out into a more colorful world. LOL.

I know that living in "da hood" has enriched my life more than anything I ever experienced growing up. Diversity is a wonderful thing! ;o)

Don't worry about the names, Denise can't even keep track of her sister's kids' names. I finally had to give them all nicknames so we could figure out who she was talking about. LOL.

Rhonda

Bridget said...

You rock, Judy!!!

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

Look at your awesome students. We had a pretty deep discussion in my Eagle's Nest this week and we are just getting started. We kick off our first of many girlz only events later this month. I'm hoping one of those will become a retreat. I just wish there were less papers to grade so I could hang out with students. I hope your retreat goes well.

Anonymous said...

Hey Judy,
I miss you! I don't have your email or new phone number, so I realized that maybe I could get ahold of your new contact info. Kara.weaver@hope.edu Thanks!fmkjdm