Monday, November 12, 2007

Put the Paint Brush Down!

I think I finally got it ... like fully got it, got it. I have this quick leadership lesson called "Put the Paint Brush Down!" where I talk about me on missions trips always wanting to be the "do-er." It took me forever to learn to put the paint brush down to make way for someone else to serve ... to instead choose to be the eyes and ears of the team in order to meet their needs, to make sure they feel like they are playing a significant role and, perhaps more importantly, to make sure they are replicating themselves.

So, today I met with all the Cadre Executive Team leads to talk...
1. About the people we've met and the lives that have been impacted.
2. About what we did right at the last two Cadres.
3. What we can improve upon.

I shared briefly what I saw and heard, and wanted to continue to see and hear, from them...
1. Continued practice in putting the paint brush down to train up first years students who need a helping hand in the back because they are new and young.
2. Being a true team where they jump in even if "it's not in their job description." No silo ministry here. They are already AMAZING at this one.
3. Them to schedule their own team meetings to vison cast the "why" behind the "what", ensure their people know the details on "where" they are supposed to be "when", etc. I asked that the "staff direct report" (Laurie or I) be at five out of a dozen of those team meetings. Everything rises and falls on those five key teams, so any support we can lend I think will be helpful.

All and all, we had a great and productive two hours together. They truly are amazing leaders. And, it was fun for me to just to be the vision caster and eyes and ears for the team. I think I am finally "getting" my own leadership lesson.

No comments: