Monday, November 12, 2007

Four Things I Know

Wednesday night a Cadre member and I went out to breakfast at midnight and she asked me to share what I believe are the secrets to success. I wasn't feeling profound, so here are my four simple ones.

1. Take care of your leaders and your leaders' kids. The second half of that statement is a big deal that few realize!
2. Do breakout groups every week in your ministry, but only if you are going to work hard to put the right leaders with the right kids.
3. Get kids serving in areas close to their SHAPE! People just about drop their jaw when I tell them we had 50 kids we rotated through on the lighting team.
4. Fight for unity and fight hard.

Another Cadre member asked me about teaching middle school students. I told him I started preaching a five point message, then went to three points, then one ... and finally landed with the best sermon is one that can be summarized in 3 or 4 words that have the power to evoke an unforgetable message/picture in your head.

3 comments:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

I like them!

Rhonda Redman said...

The simple things are often the most profound, the ones people get on a personal level.

True story: I was sitting in on a meeting with Joe Donnelly (a favor to my son), discussing an issue that wasn't my area of expertise but I did have some personal experience with it.

After about half an hour of listening to others give the technical arguments, Joe agreed to look into the issue and was about to adjourn the meeting.

I asked to add one more thing and then proceeded to share with him my own personal experience and how it related to giving back to many in our community, people who he would never see but would be affected by his choices.

He agreed to support our issue.

In just a few minutes, I managed to get a promise out of him that others didn't because I brought things down (or up) to a very human level.

Leaving that meeting, the "experts" were amazed at what they had witnessed.

Remember, the most profound statements can come out of those moments of simplicity.

Remembering those who often get lost in the process of living and leading (ie: the leaders' kids) was, IMHO, incredibly profound and quite possibly life changing for those who will be affected by your words, those who you may never even meet.

Peace,
Rhonda

Bridget said...

You are so wise. I was actually talking to Carole a few Wednesdays ago about how awesome our leader's kids are. We also have a ministry full of student's that love to serve. I love that.
I'll be at Oasis on Wednesday. Yeah.