Saturday, May 10, 2008

ATF comes to the Tab

Acquire the Fire was supposed to be at the Gwinnett Center this weekend, but for some reason switched arenas at the last minute and is at our church. It feels like a flashback into time. I think the story went something like this, Mark took one of his kids one year, then told Rob, then it became a GCC tradition. We did ATF's for years. For those, like me, who went every year it became a little too predictable and a little too easy to take jabs. For those who didn't (i.e. the students we served), it became a moment in time for them to point back to and say it was ATF ____ (insert year) where I gave my life to Christ or rededicated my life.

A year or so ago, I stopped the jabs. I decided that when I lead as many people to Christ as Ron Luce, I will have the authority to speak on whether I think what he is doing is hitting the mark or not. Until then, I will cheer him on. May the thousand or so students here this weekend truly "Acquire the Fire."

4 comments:

amberWIRE said...

YES - Acquire The Fire and Ron Luce are a big reason I am the woman I am today!

Miss you and love you Judy!

Zach Stoner said...

"I agree with you wholeheartedly. Ron has inspired thousands of teens to dive into God and his vision for their life. As youth leaders, we have to remember that ATF is a tool in our hands. Sure parts of it become predictable but what never grows old (at least for me) is seeing my students fall passionately in love with Jesus. For some students its the first time they experience something bigger than themselves in terms of their Christian walk.
Thanks for hosting the event at your church. We are truly grateful. =) "

Anonymous said...

ATF 98 was my year:)!.

Bridget said...

I remember ATF. I went about 9times starting in 1997. 97 -99 as a student, then all the rest as an Oasis leader.
My favorite part was watching my students take their next step and just getting to hang out with them for the weekend. It was a long draining weekend, but I loved it.