Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Things that I keep forgetting that I need to stick on a Post-It to my forehead...

1. Everyone wants "a hero" and "to be a hero."
2. Kids, and people too, need to be hugged (appropriately of course). It melts hearts and breaks down walls. Chantelle and Steve would laugh if they knew I wrote that.
3. Sometimes when you say or hear "I love you" (and it's not your immediate family) it feels awkward, weird and/or cheap...you know what I mean? Around here they've mastered it so it never feels that way. I'm still working on it. My boss probably tells me she loves me out loud at least two times a week and writes it at the end of every email. It's good for my soul and I know it breaks down walls as well. I probably will take a couple of jabs for this point, but I'm ok with that. I think the church has bought into some of the lies of the enemy and let him rob us of the power in those words.
4. Relationships take T-I-M-E ... a freakish amount of it. You can't skip that step even if you want to. The only relationship microwaves I know of are mission trips, retreats and camps.
5. People want to be heard, even if it's just for a few moments. They also want to be appreciated. They want to know someone is listening and someone cares. This one I've got down most days.
6. I learned this in the Cadre three years ago but need to forever remember it. I don't want to run or be a part of a youth group. Youth groups don't last beyond high school. I want to be a part of a family. Family will always trump dazzle.
7. Gossip is way too easy of an abyss to get SUCKED into. I'm pretty convinced people do it because their life is so boring there is nothing else to talk about.
8. I am going through a faith crisis right now that I will conquer, but pretty much bites. Me and Jesus need to spend some serious time together and duke it out ... yes, I did just say that and yes, I know I will lose that fight but at the same time win if you know what I mean. It reminds me that there are probably others walking around with their game face on. I know there are appropriate times to "suck it up," figuring out the balance in all of that is complicated. I need to learn how to help people be "real" but at the same time avoid unproductive rants.
9. Insecurities will burn a hole right through you if you never disarm them.
10. It's impossible to accomplish something you've never started.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

man, those are 10 incredible truths. Good to live by...

and for the record, i do love you! it just sounds so much more soothing out of Jeanne's mouth than it does this comment on your blog.

iridebikes said...

Judy! You rock!! And you have definitely been one who has helped change my life. Thank you so much! I love you tons and I know I say it all the time, but it's so true! I love these ten things. You are so good!
-RC

Terrace Crawford said...

Solid stuff, Judy.

Rhonda Redman said...

Great insights. Perhaps you could make me a post it note as well.

As for the "crisis of faith", not to diminish in any way what you're experiencing but you may want to keep in mind that, in any relationship there are always times when things are easy and times you have to motivate yourself to the work of maintaining it and working for growth. I'm glad that you're aware of the struggle and that you are addressing it. Just remember, you're still a human being in a relationship and that always involved a process that doesn't tend to run on an even keel.

Love ya! ;o)

Phil said...

Great stuff, Judy! Thanks for the reminders!
By the way, we're missing you up here.

Anonymous said...

Aw, Judy, I miss you. One more to add to your list of relationship microwaves is military and military family lifestyle's. It's necessary! I miss you! Danielle Sewell (used to be Freda)