Thursday, October 02, 2008

Those Words Weren't What I Wanted To Hear

I injured my shoulder on Sunday night (I'd tell you the story, but it's pathetic) and all throughout Monday and Tuesday I was in pain and kept losing more and more mobility. I currently can raise my upper arm all of about 2 inches. It felt like someone was continuously beating my funny bone (it wasn't my elbow though, but my shoulder ... and it sure the heck wasn't funny). After 12 Advil and 1 Vicoden yesterday, I went to a doctor today (which if you know how much I hate doctors, is a big deal) who said he couldn't help me, but recommended an orthopedic doctor. Some of his words were "your shoulder is frozen," "it looks like you might of torn your rotator cuff," "it definitely looks out of whack," "corizone shots," and "physical therapy." Ugh! Not what I need right now. I've been living in sweat pants and track jackets the last three days. I never knew how hard it was to get dressed with a shoulder out. So, I declare this "Be Grateful For Your Shoulders Week." Sis, I now know a little bit of what you went through. At the height of the pain, which always seems to be at night, I so wanted my mom. Sad considering I'm 44, but just being truthful. Today, life is better, the pain is manageable, I just can't move the thing. The only exception was when one of the middle school guy gave me this ginormous hug and put his full weight on my two shoulders ... can you say, ouch!

3 comments:

Bridget said...

Oh Judy. I know what's like to be in constant pain the shoulders and neck. Physical therapy has been working some but i think i still have a ways to go. Sometimes the only thing i can do to relieve some pain is to lay flat on the floor and put my feet up on a couch or chair. That seems to relieve some pressure. I'll be praying for you. Take it easy, friend.

Anonymous said...

I am so sad that I can't come repay the middle of the night favors. I am sorry to say that you haven't reached the highest pain level yet until after the physical therapy! Maybe we need to send mom down on a road trip! Love and miss you. Sherri

iridebikes said...

I'm sorry...that is no fun.