Sunday, July 15, 2007

Cultivating Family

Jeanne and I had a extensive phone conversation today. We covered a lot of ground on a lot of different things, but one noteable one was our conversation on signatures. In particular what people's signatures are. Not the thing you put on the bottom of a check, but what marks your life and/or ministry. When it comes to youth ministry, I think Saddleback's would be helping people to have a strategic track to run on through Purpose Diven Youth Ministry (PDYM). Helping youth ministries define and focus on what they want students to know by the time they graduate might be North Point's with its Seven Check Points. Reggie Joiner with reThink will probably put his name on the map when it comes to helping connect children and youth ministries, along with youth ministries and families. Hands down Jeanne's would be cultivating relationships and a sense of family within ministry. I haven't meet anyone who does it better.

Today she talked about how it's easy to find people who can individually create that relational or family dynamic well, but it's a whole different story when it comes to finding people who can authenticically create it in others. I'm looking forward to watching it in action come September when the ninety Master's Commission Atlanta students get here, until then I'm watching her life. She passed with flying colors today. I had sent off a quick email asking for prayer for my dad, who looks like he might be spinning into the manic side of his bi-polar. I told her it wasn't that big of deal, that he probably just needed his meds adjusted but that I would welcome the prayer. Instead of jetting off a quick email, she chose to call instead and started the conversation with "I read your email friend and that's too big of a deal for me not to call." It meant the world to me.


1 comment:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

And that is what the body of Christ is all about. I hope things are going well for you in your new ministry. I've finally moved back to Mishawaka and am very excited. I just returned from another week of camp. This week I'll be teaching two days at another high school week of camp. Good time. I'm praying for you!