Monday, February 02, 2009

19 Months Later, Still My Hero In Ministry

I started working for my boss and friend 19 months ago today. I'm not going to lie, I didn't expect my mentor and hero to live up to my expectations. I know better than to put people on pedestals. However, 19 months later, I am grateful my respect for her has done nothing but grown. We've lived a whole lot of life in 19 months, to the point it feels more like 5 years. We've experienced some of the highest highs and lowest lows. Two words that best describe her were spoken by her son years ago, they are "blasted consistent." Consistent in her call, love, devotion to Jesus and commitment to be there for her husband, family and staff. I remember her once saying that one of her goals was that "those who know me (her) best, would love me (her) most."

I consider myself a low maintenance employee, which can be ones greatest blessing and greatest curse. But, one of things that Jeanne's taught me by watching her life is that sometimes when you most need encouragement, no one will realize it so you just have to ask for it ... so I did. January was a rough month for me, because of the added stress of the flood, budget, refinancing the church, board meetings and rebidding contracts on the church side, everything on the Youth Leader's Coach side got behind. I felt like I was juggling a dozen balls in the air at the same time and was dropping them all...not really, but it felt like that big time in my head. So, I asked to go out for a quick coke, but instead she gave me a two hour lunch and helped me clear my head. Because she's fought the battles, she can speak about to the ministry mind games like no other ... the mind games no one ever talks about. Through it all she's been faithful and "blasted consistent"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you are you have Jennie there! We all need those quick cokes to get us through sometimes.
Love ya friend!
Jenny

Bubba said...

Great Post Judy!!! Miss you and the crew!

Daisy McCrary said...

Judy,
Long time no talk my friend. In light of this post, I have to tell you so something that I swear I thought of this morning. It way you.

I am in the mist of sifting our church ministry budgets for "fat" and then hopefully lean us up. My situation and hopefully a lot of the Lord, led me to pray for you this morning during my devo time.

I know mom and if she had A STINKING BLOG!!!!, would likely write the same about you. You have earned my respect from a distance. I love your love for the church and for your leader. Love you friend.

The good news is that our future as a people isn’t coming out of Washington. May He give you the deepest desires of your heart in His timing.

Your Cadre Peep and Friend