Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Eight Secrets To Weight Loss

Me writing this post is a joke. It’s way too early for me to be writing about any “secrets.” But, just in case my theories work, I will risk writing prematurely. Why? In hopes that in some way, shape or form saying this out loud keeps me accountable. Also, because a friend asked me how I am doing it today. So, here you go…

1. Conquer the Dew. First, the departure from Diet Mountain Dew to Vitamin Water and G2 was a huge boost. It’s not a secret to weight loss (it actually adds calories), but it’s the CONQUERING OF THE MIND. No one in their right mind would think I would even attempt such a feat. Most of my closest friends would have told you Diet Mt. Dew ran through my veins, not blood. After I made the switch, I felt like I pretty much could conquer anything. Have I totally eliminated “soda” (you know, gotta adjust with the culture…in the south they don’t say “pop”)? Heck, no. I still love McDonald’s Diet Coke or a bottle of something. However, I drink one a day vs. a six pack of Diet Dew.

2. Comfort food. When I’m stressed, it truly releases the pressure valve a little. Today, was a great example. The work load is almost overwhelming right now. I anticipate it to be all through NYLC and the Cadre Reunion (i.e. April 2). I am a little addicted to the adrenaline rush, but when I’ve got so much work to do that I am almost paralyzed to do anything, comfort food helps. So, I indulge, but nothing like before. Today it was a pint of cookie dough ice cream, but that’s it for the next 4-6 days. However, if I want to, I will allow myself to sneak one of the little mini ice cream cones from Jason’s Deli when I eat there. It’s about 4 inches tall, but makes me feel like I beat the system. In the past, I think I tried to eliminate ALL junk food, which was stupid and increased the likelihood of feeling like a failure.

3. One meal a day. I know, you think that’s dumb and unrealistic. It would be if that’s all I ate, but I don’t. When the hunger pains hit at other times, I fill the gap with apple sauce, peaches, pickled beets (I know…weird, right?) and other vegetables. I hate, hate, hate salad (seriously, hate), so that’s not an option for me. In regard to the one meal, it’s whatever I want. I love Chinese, Jason’s Deli, Subway and McDonalds, so I eat it. If I denied myself of what I love, there is absolutely no way I would lose weight and ever have a chance of keeping it off. I know myself. In fact, the thought of going without the food I love made me not even attempt weight loss in the past. I don’t believe in the roller coaster methodology (i.e. starve yourself of what you love, lose the weight, start eating what you love again, only to gain the weight back), it depresses me to even think about it.

4. The reality of hunger pains. I guess I had not taken the time to ever realize this or maybe I just forgot, but you know when you’re so hungry you feel like you have to have food right now? You don’t. Sometimes if you drink something or do something, they go away without you realizing it. I don’t go a whole lot longer without eating anything because I do believe it’s your body’s way of talking to you, but I do wait a bit. Why? It’s that whole conquering the mind thing. If I eat the moment I feel hungry, my mind has a tendency to CREATE more of those “I’m hungry” moments before they really exist.

5. Delayed exercise. Last year when I tried to get more fit, I started with exercise and decided “I would adjust my eating habits later, after I got the ‘exercise thing’ down.” That was dumb. All that I did was gain two pounds. Sure I might have lost some fat and gained muscle, but looking at the scale ticked me off and I gave up. Just in the last couple of days I began walking again. But, I really needed the shot in the arm on the scale side first. Lowering food intake, at least for me, will always drop pounds faster. I’m smart enough to know I need both but also smart enough to know trying to start both at the same time is hard. Last year was a great attempt, but I just had the order backward, instead of exercise then less food, I needed less food then exercise.

6. Periodic motivation. I remember a line I heard Oprah make a few years ago, “food will never taste as good as how being thin feels.” The thought of giving it a shot, motivates me…so does watching a periodic summary of an episode of The Biggest Loser on hulu.com. I have no time for tv, but the little snippet of the episodes help.

7. I already know I will fail. I know I will fail a day here and there, maybe even two or three in a row. However, I'm determined not to let a day or two of failure result in me being a total failure at even trying. I'm bent on not beating myself up when I fail, but making the CHOICE to try, try again.

8. Sleep. I don't even like to admit this, but I can't deny it. The more you sleep, the more you lose weight. Lack of sleep leads to weight gain. This totally bites because I think sleep is overrated (I'd rather take 3 naps than sleep a long period of time), but it looks like I might be wrong. I literally can lose a pound if I sleep six consistent hours, even though most of the time it won't totally stay off throughout the day. I find that both interesting and frustrating.

So, there you have it. I started to try and shed a few pounds around January 15 (a little late start to New Year’s Resolutions). I’m now up to 17 lbs. which is far more than my goal of one pound a week. I think the first few pounds have come off easily because they haven’t been there for that long. However, I think the next ones will be a whole lot tougher since I’ve carried them for years.

Only time will tell if this even remotely works and/or is sustainable. However, if I can do this during peak season when it comes to workload, I think I just might be on to something.

No comments: