Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Day With Students

This summer has afforded me a little more hang time with students since the "home team" has the ball and MC is on the bench so to speak (actually, just away doing ministry on their home fields across the nation).

Today I spent part of the afternoon with Nephtaly and Martha, incredible students going from 8th into 9th grade. On our way to lunch, Martha talked about how Andrew had taught that cliques hurt our 02 group awhile back. She shared how his teaching came to life when she was on a retreat last weekend with another church and spent the first part of it as an outsider looking in. It's cool to see a teaching take hold, isn't it?

After picking up Nephtaly, we did lunch at Panda Express and talked openly about anything and everything, including race (Nephtaly is Haitian, Martha Mexican and the very white Hungarian/German me), old youth pastors, the difficulties of going from the ghetto to very middle/upper class neighborhoods, etc. Nephtaly has some dreams for the youth ministry I hope to help unleash.

When I got back to the office, Eric and Chris came in and were hanging around in my office. While I know it can be time consuming, I love what it says when a student, especially two guys, feel comfortable enough to come plop down in your office to talk. While some would be irritiated by it, I am grateful. After sharing stories, Eric had a great idea for an event and got the ball rolling to get the info and take it to the team.

What I loved most today were the eyes to see that God gave me. I've been on the sidelines in youth ministry a little bit over the last year just trying to figure out what the heck I was doing in a new city and a new position. It's good to be back in the trenches. Listening to the students' dreams and strategizing a little on how to achieve even the little ones is refreshing. It's amazing what students can accomplish if someone will give them a little time and help them get their feet pointed in the right direction.

No comments: