Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I Love this Country

Confession time. I only started voting a few years ago. I know, I know, "What, am I stupid?" No, well maybe. Basically one of my parents and I would make a deal. "You don't vote and, then, I won't vote and we'll both save time." You see they are pretty much for one party and I am for the other. So whether we vote or don't vote, no party is further ahead. That was all good until I began thinking about what my not voting was communicating. Suddenly I started looking at the percentage of voter turnout. At that time, it was pretty pathetic (and probably still is). I realized no one knew about "the deal", but what they did know and probably wrote their own story about was the fact that it doesn't appear Americans care or appreciate the privilege and opportunity that lies before them. So starting that day and today...I voted. We live in a pretty amazing country even with it's kinks in the political system.

Gas to voting station...28 cents,
15 minutes to get there and vote...5-6 bucks,
Freedom...priceless

1 comment:

amberWIRE said...

Voting is cool! Are you wearing the sticker that says "i voted"? I know I am :o)