Thursday, March 01, 2007

That's one for the encouragement file!

Jeanne Mayo has taught me a lot of things, but one that sticks out in my mind the most is that, when necessary, to ask for encouragement instead of waiting for it. I always need it and I know my leaders always need it. So when a dad came up to me tonight and was bragging on Oasis and the leaders, I asked him if he wouldn't mind saying it again in an email so that I could forward it to my leaders. His words were priceless! Now, I could of tried summarizing it for them, but if it came from him directly it would mean so much more. He went home and did just that. While I removed the names, here's what he had to say...


Dear Judy,

My wife and I want to say thank you for the ministry of Oasis. When we moved here from out of state, our biggest concern was how would our son adjust to the change. God has done so much to help him navigate the transition, but more than anything God has used Oasis to make this new place his new home. He is a sensitive kid and he can sniff out, fairly quickly, "mean" people or people who just don't care. At Oasis, he feels loved authentically and unconditionally. That is, he is accepted as that unique guy that he is. Oasis is fun for him--he insists that we bring him at 4:45 each Wednesday so he can have lots of hang out time and I don't think he has missed an activity since we moved here--but it is more than just fun. The middle school ministry at GCC is transformational for him. He is uplifted, challenged and changed through the worship, teaching and interaction. And by the way, he thought his first experience recently at the Monday night Bible study was "awesome."

Thanks to you and your team for providing normal (read "not religious stick-in-the-mud out of touch with the real world"), crazy, authentic, passionate leadership for him and thank you for helping him to connect with God through worship, scripture, community and outreach. Because you follow Jesus with your whole heart, he is learning how to be a fully-devoted follower of Jesus. As parents, we could not ask for more.

By the way, this is not mere flattery. I waited months to share this because I wanted to see if what you are doing stood the test of time. Any parent or child can be excited about a ministry after an initial impression or just a few weeks, but its the long haul that matters. Accordingly, the fire in him for Oasis, and more importantly for Christ, just grows stronger each week. What you are doing is for real and you are making a lasting difference! Be encouraged because God is using you in the lives of others.

Thanks for the sacrifices you make for all the kids, but especially for the most important kid to us--our son.

No comments: