Thursday, August 28, 2008

Scars Are Tattoos With Better Stories

I was having lunch with Corey and Debbie today and, as usual, it was awesome. Corey and I are about as different as two people can be, but through time, maturity and/or overcoming insecurities and head games, I think we've really come to appreciate our "differences." It's easy to appreciate similarities, but "appreciating differences" is a whole different ballgame. Hands down, without a doubt, Corey and Debbie make me better.

I heard myself saying at lunch, in reference to different but similar situations, I wonder if God sometimes allows things to cut so deep because He wants a scar to remain that we will remember forever, that in the end might actually catapult us into the future in a way we would have never imagined. I'm not saying that's His first choice for us to learn by, but too often some things fade away too easily because the personal affect on our little world is limited (like a nice Sunday morning message about feeding the hungry and clothing the naked that ends as you pass the Section 8 housing on your way home or drop clothes off at Goodwill).

I remember a shirt I bought after I nearly drowned white-water rafting that said, "Scars are tattoos with better stories." Isn't that that truth, we have some outside scars on our body that all we have to do is look at them "to remember." Could it be the same on the inside, all we have to do is think of them "to remember" ... to remember "to do" something every day of our lives or "never do" something again as long as we live. It's an interesting thought. It doesn't fit into a nice theological box or a pretty little package, so it kind of hurts your brain to think about all the ramifications if it is indeed so. Things are not always so clean cut are they?

6 comments:

Bridget said...

I remember when you got that shirt. See you Saturday, I hope. I have to work till 6, so I'm going to try and make it.

Phil said...

Love it. I think you are right. I know that I have some "scars" that are a constant reminder of things that I need to be reminded of and apparently chose not to "get" any other way.

See you Sat.!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I couldn't make it to your little party at Chris's yesterday. I had planned on coming over when I got off at 6 but we had a going away party for my manager. Sorry to have missed you, I hope you had a great visit! love ya.
-Erin

Rhonda Redman said...

I don't know. Most of my tattoos have great stories attatched to them. They are stories of my core beliefs and of struggles that have been endured and overcome.

Scars just take up valuable tattoo space.

Sorry. I'm sure it was a very nice t-shirt. ;o) LOL.

It was great to see you. Thank you so much for the invite. (And thank you to Chris) Danielle had a great time as well and the time out was the best thing she could have had this weekend.

Danielle's Grandma is still fighting. She's made it through 2 nights and doctors didn't expect her to make it through the first. Prayers are appreciated.

Have a safe trip back.

And thanks for the info for Joe.

You will be missed! (((hug)))

Rhonda

Rhonda Redman said...

Updates:

Grandma still hanging in there but nowhere near out of the woods yet.

Joe called to let his Mama know that he has been maced and tear gassed. Shouting in the background didin't make me feel any better.

Prayers of healing for Grandma and protection for Joe would be appreciated.

Kids are so much easier to deal with when you can stil control their movements. I can almost feel my hair turning gray. AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to need a new tattoo if I make it through this stuff.

Judy Gregory said...

Friend, you make me laugh. Didn't you know? Gray hair is a tattoo ... one that can only be earned for it to be permanent and not fade away. You earned your stripes.

The conservative (shocking I know :-D) me will always be a firm believe in writing your stories on your heart, not on your skin. I know too many people that spend more time designing and talking about their tattoo than living out their so-called beliefs written on their skin.

I love the fact that Joe is bold enough to stand up for what he believes in, rather than sit and yell at the tv like most do. It is safer on the couch, but you can't change the world from there. It is SO not for me to say (so I won't), but I just hope ... and pray ... he has chosen the right way and the right thing to lay his life on the line for. Regardless of my opinion, my love and respect for him is HUGE, HUGE, HUGE.

Glad to hear grandma is hanging on. I am praying for a miracle. Give Danielle and Jessie a hug for me. I love you dearly my friend and grateful we reconnected.

Love,
Judy

P.S. Thanks for the help on Saturday too.