Sunday, February 24, 2008

DID YOU PRAY FOR YOUR GUY/GIRL?

DOUG FIELDS - SATURDAY NIGHT GENERAL SESSION

I’m not as good at caring as I want to be.

Faith Blockers

Personal insecurities I live with … they come to top, then I don’t see people like I should.

1. Fear. What if I don’t have the right answer?

2. I am too pre-occupied. Everyone adds something to my to-do list. It prevents me from having God-empowered conversations.

3. I feel uncomfortable. It’s draining. Certain skills I don’t possess.

I hide it all because the show must go on.

When Doug asked if anyone else had dealt with any of the three faith blockers, the entire arena stood up.

DOUG’S HUMILITY AND VULNERABILITY ENABLED OTHER PEOPLE TO FACE THEIR OWN REALITY, NOW THAT IS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT MY FRIENDS. IT GOES BACK TO THE SAYING, WE LEAD THROUGH OUR STRENGTHS BUT WE CONNECT IN OUR WEAKNESSES.

He went on to share in the Bible how Joseph was one of many that went “by faith” when it came to Mary and the baby.

What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen.

Then Doug read from Hebrews where it talks about the Biblical Heroes of old who walked “by faith”

He concluded by having everyone take the sheet of paper under their chair write their name and the area in which they struggled. We wadded the sheets up, pitched them in the air and took the one landing near us. Doug asked us to pray for the guy/girl's paper we got. I picked up a guy named Andrew who deals with fear.

Lord, may you give Andrew the confidence and assurance he needs to realize he has more wisdom than he thinks … and perhaps to even know that we don’t always have to know the right answer, just simply know where to get them. May he hunger and dive into you Word, where true wisdom is found, like never before.


On a side note, the thing I love about Doug Field's is that he practices what he preaches. I saw him later that night at the PDYM late-night session. I just stopped in to get my PDYM fix and see some old friends. From the front, Doug gave me a shout out by name and stopped by my table to say "hi", give me a hug and tell me we needed to catch up because he had hear my world had recently changed.

No comments: