Tuesday, February 19, 2008

This Totally Bites!

I played a lot of sports when I was a kid and was hit more than once in the mouth with a basketball, softball, football, elbow ... and the list goes on. A couple of years ago the dentist told me I must of gotten hit one too many times becasue my front tooth is "pulpless" (ie dead) and that was why it was becoming discolored.

After livng with it forever, I decided to do something about it before I moved to Atlanta a few months back. The dentist grinded it to a numb and put a veneer (or whatever you call it) on it. Well, like 1,500 bucks later, I noticed it had a flaw. I was going to "just live with it" but decided $1,500 was too much money to spend to "just live with it." So, a couple of weeks ago when I was home they "sawed" (yes, that's the word the assistant used) it off and put a temporary back on ... of course not before they took impressions ... twice!

The parting words I received were, "don't bite into anything ... especially a sandwich." Well, I wasn't thinking on Friday and bit into a french fry ... needless to say off comes the temporary while in Cheesecake Bisto in Atlantic Station. She had told me if it came off, just to buy some detal glue at the drugstore and put it back on. Well, three attempts with three different types of dental glue and it's a "no go." So, instead of hitting the dentist next Monday after the Group Conference, I am flying home tomorrow night, getting my new tooth on Wednesday and flying back out early Thursday morning ... all because of a tooth.

You don't realize how much you need and like your teeth till there is a gapping hole in your mouth or you try to do a balancing act to keep it on with pathetic glue. It's been a trip. This morning I woke up with my fake tooth in bed with me and not in my mouth. Oh well, I guess it's better than in my stomach. I know that was all too much information ... but hey, right now it's all I can think of! I want my tooth!

10 comments:

Corey Mann said...

The greatest story ever, and it demands a before and after photo.

I want a toothless grin NOW!

Anonymous said...

You know, I've heard that dentists have migrated out of the South Bend area, and some have actually made it to the ATL.

Anonymous said...

Impressions.....ICK!!! Been there. Done that.

That is a horrible (yet highly amusing) story. When Joe was little, he lost his tooth while eating a 3 Musketeers bar and swallowed it. Mama had to write a note to the Tooth Fairy explaining what had happened to the tooth so he would still get the cash.

Rhonda

DC Curry said...

Ha-larious girl!

You are silly, and a great story teller, you had me the whole time.

Brooke and I send our love to the ATL!

Terrace Crawford said...

Wow - that sips. Great story though!

Anonymous said...

I love anything that brings you back to Indiana...even if its only for a day..Love ya friend
Loretta

Unknown said...

Congrats, you get to give away a digital download version of Power Play Vol 4 from Simply Youth Ministry. Come up with some way to give it away as you blog the Group/SYM Conference. Can't wait to read your posts!

JG

Anonymous said...

Judy - I hope you see how much I enjoy you!!! I'm in the stinkin' bush in Congotown, Liberia, and found some wonderful, kind missionaries with anywhere-internet cards. So, here I am, being fed and laughing as I read your blog.

Blessings to you, sister!

Lanette Rajski said...

Oh Judy - That is a recurring nightmare of mine! (for real!) Glad you were able to get it fixed and that you had a sense of humor about it. I agree with Corey - a before and after pic would be great! Love Lanette

J Aquila said...

I'm having the same thing done to one of my front teeth right now. I get my crown on the 11th. My tooth was not dead, but discoloring since 5th grade.

Dental stuff is always a good time.

Aquila