Sunday, June 22, 2008

Burden of the Lord

Ok, I know that sounds super-spiritual, but I don't know of any other words that best fits a conversation that Jeanne and I had on the way to the Annointing Service for Master's Commission a couple of weeks ago. I've been reflecting on it ever since.

Basically the conversation, in my own words, went something like this ... You can have a phenomenal leader, but if you place him/her over an area they don't necessarily have a "burden of the Lord for" it will be hard for them to thrive (and the people they minister to) . It doesn't mean they won't, it will just be more difficult. For example, if you place a discipleship wired person in more of an evangelistic position ... or if you place a person that best ministers to college students in a middle school position ... it will be difficult.

In some regards, it's the essence of the necessity for shape based ministy, but puts more of finger on what I see as I help work with youth leaders and pastors. It's kind of like the ministry fails to have a heart. It also explains why sometimes I see someone who doesn't have much in the way of a leadership gifting, but they have the heart or the burden of the Lord for an age category or area of ministry. I'll look at them, and in my fleshy judgemental spirit, try to figure out why their group is thriving ... maybe not all it could be ... but undeniably thriving nonetheless. Ideally you want the heart and the leadership. I'm not sure which is more important, but I've found leadership I can teach, heart I cannot.

3 comments:

Rhonda Redman said...

Although I appreciate your spiritual sense regarding the issue, it makes sense in all kinds of groups.

As I sit in any group I always look around the table and see a picture, a goal if you wish, and we all have pieces of that picture. The key is always to allow the pieces to fit together where the belong and not to force them into areas where they don't.

We all have our strengths and weaknesses and most importantly at times, our passion (or our heart). some skills can be taught but heart is something that's either there from the start or grows from being exposed to something they never had experience with before, something that really connects with us.

In my own work, I may get tired from the battles and need an occassional break but I will never quit fighting for those things I am passionate about.

Judy Gregory said...

Rhonda, my friend, where have you been. I feel connected when you post. Let's make it a point to do Hi Ho when I come home next time around. Bring the family and Jamie (and Courtney if she's still around).

Rhonda Redman said...

It's nice to be missed. Thank you. I needed that. Really, I did.

I read often but try to stay out the way much of the time. You've got so much to handle. Besides, I can only imagine you having to explain me. LOL.

Hi Ho sounds great.