Monday, June 23, 2008

I Will Care For You As You Care For Others

As Oasis grew, I remember the transition from caring for students to caring for leaders. It was a tough transition for me. I love hanging out with and impacting students; however, me, myself and I (and a few others) were unable to impact as many as I could dream of impacting. So, my role changed over time. While I would have my couple dozen kids who would capture my heart and even some of my time, I had to correct and redirect how I was going to lead. More time needed to be spent investing in leaders than students (almost sounds wrong, doesnt' it?). My mantra in my head (I just came up words to it) would be, I will care for you as you care for others.

That's what the Cadre is all about (and multiplication for that matter). While long distance we can't care to the extent that someone in closer proximity can, we're basically saying ... youth pastor, we will help (of course, hopefully along with their local church...but it doesn't always work that way...good grief, you should hear the stories) care for you as you care for others. Once again, knowing we all need to be loved, cared for and appreciated ... regardless of age, income or status.

When does it get sticky? When someone walks out from your umbrella of ministry. Does that mean you stop loving or caring for them, absolutley not! However, for some it might look different, for others you were meant to "do life," well ... "for life." It's tough isn't it? Relationships ... your relationship with God and your relationships with others ... there is no greater thing in the universe, but my oh my, what a constant wrestling.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said it...It is a constant battle. There a so many times that you want to continue on with a relationship but reality is you only have so much time and energy and lets face it, relationships (people) are work. It's not that we don't love or value the person but life steps in. Most of the time it's easy to see the right choice but then there are times, I wonder if it was right to "let go".
Love ya friend,
Karen

Rhonda Redman said...

Know that sometimes those who care about you are the ones who let go.

Love ya!
Rhonda

Daisy McCrary said...

Judy,
Great blog! I believe you are so wise. I have heard percentage breakdowns of the amount of time which every leader versus student needs to have a successful YM and it makes me nauseous. Your passion to multiply effectiveness comes out of a heart for life change in the students. Bravo Chica!

Phil said...

I love the idea of seasons. I believe that there are times when God brings a young person into my life for a "season", and when that season is over, part of my loving them is to let our relationship change to whatever God wants it to be now.
The hard part is knowing when that is. For some, it is in letting them go. For others, it is in hanging on with everything in me when I want to let them go (or they are trying to push me away) just because it is getting hard.
Tough stuff. Can only do it with Jesus.