Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Flush the Toilets

A bunch of us were back and Jeanne's house earlier this week for our annual YLC/Cadre/NYLC breakfast. About 20 of us ate breakfast in the living room while Jeanne casted vision for those who have YLC/Cadre/NYLC in their portfolios. About a dozen of them report directly to me, along with six staff members for the Tab and YLC. I'm challenged more and more each day on how to manage the YLC/Cadre/NYLC/Accounting/Media/Junior High/Children's Ministry/Master's Commission worlds. Some day I will probably have to "narrow the focus" but for now I juggle. The funny part is that I can honestly say that I love them all, pretty equally I might add.

After Jeanne spoke, she went to Alisha, Bethany and I to wrap it up. She wanted heart and one thing they could do that would make our lives easier over the next nine months. This is pretty much what I said to them.

"A couple of weeks ago someone wanted me to ask Jeanne a question becasue "I had her ear," meaning she listened to me. I didn't know whether I should be offended by the comment or grateful. I went with grateful. I started "earning Jeanne's ear" about 12 years ago when I started "Flushing Toilets" after our youth ministry on Wednesday nights in the "non-glamorous moments." It is there, vacumming floors, flushing and plunging toliets, emptying trash cans and picking up Skittles into the late night hour to make it look like "we were never there" that I heard Jesus loudest. But there was no accolades in those moments, honestly for the most part no one really noticed ... just me and Jesus. That, however, is where I "paid my own price" (Jeanne had referenced it early).

I think that is where the "Burden of the Lord" really started being developed. I want you to have that for the Cadre, but it didn't just happen and it wasn't just with people. I honestly think it starts by picking up trash when nobody else does, wipping down sinks that you didn't get wet, etc.

My heart for this year is that this not be Jeanne's gig, or Jeanne and Judy's gig, but "our" gig. At the retreat this weekend, after everyone went to bed there was this circle of dirt that everyone trampled in before they ended the night playing a round of Signs. I could have left it for Jordan, Nick, Ann or Jenna to clean up ... afterall the retreat was an MC gig ... not a YLC gig. But it's not, it's "our" gig so I quietly put the chairs away and once again began to sweep.

NYLC is our gig too. As with the Cadre, once again Jeanne and I couldn't and, more importantly, wouldn't want to do it without you. The heart that lies within you is what will set our conference apart from every other...that, along with the price. I am so grateful I work for someone that will give away everything including the kitchen sink. She wants to put everything on the bottom shelf so everyone can reach it. We don't just want youth pastors, we want teams ... so we put the price on the bottom shelf. So, those who are on the calling teams, you will have the toughest job ... it will be fun for all of 20 minutes, but know who and what you're representing.

So, as far as how you can help me this year, remember to 'Flush the Toilets" literally and figuratively in everything you put your hand and heart to.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

You rock, Judy. One of my favorite times during Oasis was when we tore down and cleaned up after Oasis. It was a good debriefing time. You lead by example and I love that.

Phil said...

You are amazing! Someday when I grow up I want to be just like you.
I love the verse. It's going on the car dash to be memorized.