Thursday, September 25, 2008

Knowing their story makes all the difference in the world

We've got a family of five kids in our youth ministry and they are pretty much stair steps ... four of them in middle school. I love them dearly, but they are a little on the wild, unfocused side which can be irritating on ocassion ... that is until I learned their story this week. I'm reminded, once again, how knowing someone's story makes all the difference in the world.

The mom was/is a drug addict. When the twins were born, the doctors said don't bond with them, they aren't going to live ... and if they do, they will probably be blind, bedridden, etc. Although the mom was a drug addict, she called in a woman she knew to pray for them ... and pray she did. The kids turned out fine, once again maybe a little wild and unfocued at times, but fine nonetheless. In the end, all the kids were adopted by the women who prayed for them. I can't even imagine what the oldest was exposed to. I do know they are walking miracles even to have survived. While I will still correct and redirect, I have a feeling both my patience and hugs will be on the rise.

While I get the wonderful opportunity to put my hands to a number of thing, I think my first love will always be middle school ministry. I casted vision for the middle school side of Oxygen to the new MC students today. I couldn't help but realize the passion for the ministry that comes so natural for me.

No comments: