Friday, October 05, 2007

Empower or Perish

I'm in a real intereting new place, one I've never fully been in before. I've empowered teams who have proven themselves trustworthy, I've delegated to individuals who I've had to depend on but weren't trustworthy and I've done a whole lot of stuff myself. However, in this new position, the empowering has went up to the nth degree. There is an immediate urgency to master. I'm learning quick. Today was interesting, here were the meetings...

Met with Jon and asked him to champion the team who will be working on the video project I've kind of created and the board approved. He's creative as all get out and can take my ideas to the next level...big time, but only if he has "buy in." After vision casting, he's "all in." I've given him the starting point with the hopes he will soar with his creatively wired mind.

Met with Jay and asked him to champion getting the 200+ resources we have on DVD into a downloadable format so when the new storefront goes up they will be ready. He can talk lingo I've never heard of to get what needs to be done...well... done. He's pretty stoked about the project and already has the team in mind to help him.

Met with the Cadre MC Executive Team (13 in all). Those who will head up tokens, transportation, apartment, cleaning, decor, communications, shopping, food, moving, valet and media teams to cast vision and talk about responsibilities. I talked about the importance of taking care of people and how it is transferrable to every area of minstry, as well as the corporate world. A pay check will only take you so far when it comes to motivation. Whoever sits under their leadership will work harder, longer and faster, as well as be happier, if they feel authentically loved, cared for and like they matter. The key is to continually work on being intentional. In order to accomplish what they are going to have to get done, they will have to empower their own teams. I think they will do great. They all have worked with and love the Cadre.

Met with Andrew, my junior high guy and checked in on our postcard launching the first promoted series ever in Sunday school and our 02 group. His work was awesome. Cheryl is working on our database which is lacking at the moment. It's weird to work junior high from the backseat. However, I'm up to bat teaching the students this weekend, so it should be fun.

My Administrative Assistant, Cherry, is doing a great job at helping me keep all the balls in the air.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your title is dead on. I have worked with so many groups and I have seen those who pass along, not only their wisdom but also teach the tools and resources necessary for empowering them and those who keep that power to themselves. The former is a way of making sure the message keeps going forward. The latter is a sure way to make sure it dies.

You ar a wise woman.

Namaste'
Rhonda