Sunday, October 07, 2007

Be There When It Matters Most - Simple, Yet Profound Lesson on Life



















Even though I so want to, I can't maintain all the relationships I've developed throughout my life. I can't be there for a Friday night movie, all the birthday parties, the occasion dinner or hangout at Starbucks. I gave up a long time ago and made the decision not to feel "guilty" about it. However, there are key moments in my friends' lives where I will do whatever it takes to be there for them. This weekend is one of those moments. My friends T and Amealia are getting married in, of all places, Canada.

T and I go way back. He was my very first band director. After practice, he and I would talk late, sometimes until 2 a.m., about life and ministry. He went on to join Ron Luce with Teen Mania for two years. He is an amazing solid man of God. Amealia is amazing as well.

T was the big brother of Karissa. She would hang out until 2 a.m. as well. I'm not sure it was by choice, as much as T was her ride. She was quiet then and would, for the most part, just listen in on our conversations. Karissa is now a missionary in Malawi, Africa.

I love them and their family. So this weekend, I'm jumping on a plane and flying into Detroit, then driving 2 1/2 hours into Canada. Why? Because this is one of those important events in their life I want to be apart of.

I learned the "be there when it matters most" lesson right after my sister had shoulder surgery. At around 3 a.m. she made a 911 call to me because "she knew I'd be awake." She was in severe pain but the pain medicine was making her sick to her stomach. She had a perscription to get rid of the naseau but it needed filled. So, CVS and I befriended each other around 3:30 a.m. That was a marking moment for her. Lil' sis did good that day!

4 comments:

Bridget said...

I love Tristan and Karissa. I saw Melinda at church this week. That family is awesome. I can't believe he is getting married. I remember when he was a students. Wow, how time flies when you are having fun.

Anonymous said...

So, if we go to Canada to get married, will you come to our wedding as well? ;o)

Rhonda

(who's really jealous that you're going to Canada instead of me. LOL)

Anonymous said...

aww, tell Tristan congrats for me! I havent talked to him in forever.
-Erin

amberWIRE said...

Aw, such great news about Tristan! He is awesome! I'm so glad that you were able to be there to celebrate with him!