Saturday, December 08, 2007

The Audience That Day and The Days Prior

LAST REFLECTION ON THE FUNERAL

Officiating my dad's service was a tough call. I wanted to do it, thought I could do, but didn't know if I could pull it off. It's been a redeeming moment in the midst of tragedy.

I got a lot of "great jobs," so it felt good and right. In fact, when Jeanne read it beforehand she wanted me to promise to make an annoucement sometime at the dinner afterwards that "I don't do funerals." I told her, "don't be silly." She told me, "I'm serious." When I got a number of requests afterwards, I realized she was serious. It was very honoring and kind of funny at the same time. My greatest compliment came from my aunt, she said "Judy, if you had a church, I'd come and listen to you every week. I didn't even want to get up to go have a cigarette." That little comment meant the world to me and makes me smile even as I write. However, nothing compares to what I realized afterwards. I didn't think about it at the time, but there were three different families in the room that day directly affected by previous suicides of their brother, sister, son and daughter. My hope and prayer is that, though my open and honest communication, something resonated in their hearts that they can hold onto.

LAST REFLECTION ON MEDICAL CARE
I've been told that we've got the potential for a lawsuit. That's not the kind of person I am, but I am one to learn from mistakes - my own and others - in an effort not to repeat them. Some asked about my father being in ICU just a month ago. Here's the story...

The drug, Seroquel, that he took for his bipolar disorder was skipping a few beats. The doctor thought a sleep aid would do the trick. Well it turns out when he mixed the sleep aid with the Seroquel, it resulted in either Serotonin Syndrome or Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome. Basically his body turned toxic on him and he went into a catatonic state. He was in ICU for a week with oxygen levels all over the chart. Obviously at that point, they took him off all his meds. They did a gazillion tests and came up with nothing. After about 4-5 days he started coming out of it. However, when he was better, instead of starting him on Seroquel again without the sleep aid or something else, they released him and put him on nothing - a guy who previously was on high doses of an anti-depressent, now on nothing ... what was his doctor thinking? In my gut, I knew that didn't seem right and should of questioned it further ... what was I thinking? In hindsight, I should of pestered and pursued other experts.

All that to say, trust doctors but if the answers don't seem quite right, be relentless ... don't give up and don't give in ... Michelle and Rob had to do it with Isabelle, Jeanne and Josh have to do it with Monica, and we should have done it with my dad. I'm not going to sue, but I am going to learn.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Judy,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

The DeWinters

Bridget said...

Wow. I can't believe that people would really say that to you. You are an amazing daughter, friend, pastor, mentor, etc. I know your dad would be proud of you.

Anonymous said...

That really makes me angry that the doctor would release him completely unmedicated, especially if he/she had knowledge of his history. That, in my book, would be negligence. It's even worse that it's common knowledge med/psych community that the risk of suicide around the holidays is much greater than any other time of year.

I can understand not wanting to go through the stress of a lawsuit but, with all due respect, I would suggest you consider filing a complaint against the doctor.

Nothing can be done to undo this tragedy but perhaps another family could be spared from it.

Once again my friend, you are amazing. I know others feel the same way about you but, having known you for 30 years (Wow! That makes me feel old!), I really know how far you've come and how much you've grown over the years. Let me just say that I am not easily impressed and you impress me.

Namaste'
Rhonda

Angie said...

Judy, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I have such respect for you and am amazed at your perspective through all of this. I have been and will continue to pray for you and your family.