Friday, December 07, 2007

Four Things You Don't Say At A Funeral

From what I'm told, people say silly things at funerals that aren't really helpful and that I should be grateful my list is only four long. Fortunately, God has given me the ability to laugh, not weep, over them. Here they are...

1. "Judy, I just think it did something to him when you moved down to Atlanta."
2. "He often talked about how much he missed his daughter."
3. "I'm sorry the demons got him."
4. "The demons went through him to get at you Judy."

Now here is the reality, all of these statements were said by people I love dearly who simply weren't thinking (especially the last one).

The only reason I post them is for you to be able to counsel people that are in a similiar situation on what words well-intentioned people might say that could catch them off guard.

Funerals are one of those awkward times in life where words can come out of your mouth and the minute you say them, you wish you could take them back. Hundreds of people said the right things. Just in case you are wondering, here are a sampling of the right things...

1. "I don't know what to say, just know I love you."
2. "My thoughts and prayers are with you."
3. "If you need anything, let me know."
4. "You were a phenomenal daughter."

2 comments:

jen said...

Might I add:

1. You'll get remarried, right? You're so young.
2. He was sick. (ya think?)


to be honest, i have to say that there were more and now i can't remember them. hm. God is good. Judy, you don't know us but we go to GCC and found your post through other's blogs. We were sad when you moved because our boys won't get to do Oasis with you but God's plans are better than mine, I know. My Dad also committed suicide and he's been gone nine years now. In my experience, everything you said was right and true. and i'm so glad that you got there so much more quickly than i was able to. again, while you don't know us, i'm so proud of you, too.

jennifer

Anonymous said...

Demons??? AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Once again, thank you for addressing bipolar as the physical illness that it is.

You apparently are much more gracious than I. ;o)

(((hug)))