Monday, September 03, 2007

DVD Driven Small Group Material

I am totally, totally stoked. Jeanne is letting me try my hand at creating some DVD driven small group curriculum. I'm pretty much living out the dream I had at Granger to create killer resources for small groups to do in homes or smaller group settings. To this day, with amazing leaders, I am convinced that greater ministry and deeper relationships can happen in the home. We talk a good game when we say, "Life change happens best in the context of relationships," but need to live it out better by facilitating them. Small groups don't eliminate the need to gather as a whole through some kind of celebration service, it's just that we're not fully getting done what we need to get done there. Averaging 500 kids in a youth ministry and having over 1,000 attend an end of the year bash sounds successful and is to a certain degree, but how much better can it get ... in my mind, a lot.

On the way home from Tulsa I talked with Jeanne about the opportunity we have to create great curriculum for people to use, for no matter where you go the message topics are the same - Seven Checkpoints, Five Purposes, whatever your lingo is. However, what I can't do from Atlanta is love on kids in Seattle. We need youth pastors and leaders in Seattle to do that ... and to do it well. If we could create amazing resources, then we could totally free up their time to love on kids. We don't need youth pastors sitting/hiding behind their computers (don't get me wrong, they need to be reading their Bibles, wrestling through things, etc.), we need them in the trenches.

So, we'll see how it goes. Basically, I'm giving Jeanne video suggestions that she'll have to figure out how to pull off, while I think of some opening activities and discussion questions. We're using her new book Uncensored to start with. It's our first attempt. I'm praying it works! The cool thing is that we're both go getters, so this should be knocked out in no time.

4 comments:

Phil said...

You're right, Judy. Great width without coresponding depth isn't what we were called for. It's important that we be intentional about getting the message to as many as possible (width). It is just as important that we get the message IN them (depth).
I can't wait to see what you and Jeanne come up with. I know that, with the two of you on it, it will be amazing!

Bridget said...

That sounds so exciting. I can't wait to see what you create. It will be great.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like great stuff Judy! I think you nailed the need for great small group resources. I will be very interested to see what you and Jeanne come up with.

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

I'm excited to see what comes out of this. There is a need for some quality small group material. Have fun and soak it all up.