Saturday, September 22, 2007

Shhh, can you keep a secret?

I had one of my first junior high meeting this morning at the southern delicacy known as Waffle House (seriously, they are on every corner in Atlanta ... at least at every exit). I think it's going to become our Saturday morning meeting place. Four people ate for $20, I can do that.

Anyway, I am so stoked at the leadership that was at the table. Diverse as night and day, but powerful. This will be my first attempt at leading from behind the scenes. I have my hand in too many other things to do the work of the front person, but I'm pretty confident in my ability to direct and empower those I oversee. The only up front area I'm going to own in this thing is with parents.

Today, we planned all the events for 2007-2008 to give to parents when we hold our first parent meeting in October. Between now and then we'll brainstorm the topics we'll be discussing in Sunday school (yes, that beast exists down here at 9:30 a.m. every Sunday morning) to give to them as well. One thing I always wanted to do well at Granger was connect with parents. However, other things kept pressing in that I LET prevent me from doing it. This time around I've decided it is NON-NEGOTIABLE. In fact, my first lunch with a parent is this Wednesday (before I'd be having lunch with kids, not this time around, it's the parents I'm pursuing ... I'll let my leaders do the lunches with the students). Bottomline, the three things I'm committed to doing well are leadership training/mentoring, small groups and parents. Youth ministry-wise, I've decided there are things I'm willing to give up in order to relentlessly lead these three areas well. One huge thing I'm giving up is being the weekly up front leader, in particular teaching leader - that's a pretty big deal for me. I'm in the process of finding those killer teachers who can step into that role even now.

Don't tell anyone, but I'm setting a growth rate of 300% as my goal for junior high this year (don't be too impressed because the junior high numbers are low). My goal is to break off junior high from senior high by Fall 2008. I think we've got the plan and staff to do it ... easily. I'll be fine if we don't hit the numbers, but my heart is feeling it's a good target.

I'm loving the job, but please pray for wisdom as I navigate the many waters. Right now, I'm the direct report for six full-time people in three totally different departments, as well as for a number of MC students. Jeanne is having me serve as a middle layer of management so to speak on the Youth Leader's Coach side. While there are some issues that we need to work through, the beauty is that all the people are amazing. What they are doing drives them to get up in the morning, not to mention that they are just plain fun and funny, so that is making my life easier. I'm excited at the opportunity to speak into their lives and they are pretty excited to have someone to champion them. I plan on "championing" well.

4 comments:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

It sounds like this could be a huge year. I like it!

Bridget said...

I have full confidence that you will lead well. You did bring Oasis/CIA from a few 100 to 1000 in ten years. You are an amazing leader, mentor and friend and that radiates in everything you do. I can't to see what God is going to do.

Phil said...

I know you will "champion" them well. You are an amazing champion in my life, and I know you will only continue to grow and develop that.

DC Curry said...

HEY HEY!!! Sounds like you have some great things going on down there!

Judy you're awesome and i can't wait to see what you build down there in ATL.

I also love that our leaders are still keeping in touch with you. You've left your mark on Granger, IN and i know ATL has only just begun to taste the goodness of Judy Gregory!

Rock on sista! I'm praying for you and your ministy.