Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Random Things Today

Oxygen: Just came off Oxygen tonight where Jordan taught. Not only does his integrity and passion for ministry run deep, but I think he's the most creative guy I've ever met when it comes to sermon illustrations. Tonight he delivered yet again. He's given two messages in the last four days, all while making Master's Commission go round for 85+ students. I still can't believe the team I get to work alongside. Jeanne and I keep having "I'm so grateful moments for you" moments. She plain and simple just makes me better and has mastered the art of making me feel crazy appreciated. I'm trying to do that for my team in my own "Judy" sort of way. So far, it's worked really well.

Junior High Parents: My first meeting with a parent of two junior high students was today at lunch. It rocked! I dreamed the dream and cast vision for where I saw the junior high ministry going. The words I heard that rang loud in my ears were "I love it. Judy, I can tell you've been emersed in this awhile. How long did it take you to think of all of this?" and "Seriously, Judy, anything I can do to help make it happen let me know."

02 Groups: I'm watching the leaders of leaders get ready for the launch of 02 groups. Wow, they are passionate about it! They took it to a whole new level than I did with Eagle's Nest. There are full color binders with cool graphics and tokens everywhere! The momentum they're creating with this thing is very cool. I'm am sooo watching and learning.

Opportunities: My pal Sean over at Stuck in the Middle asked me to check out his next big event in Kansas City in March 08 to give him some feedback and lead a breakout session. The conference he does with middle school students rocks. I'm pretty stoked about the opportunity to hang out with some of my Summit friends. It's back to back with a mission trip I'm leading in Mexico, but I think I can work it out. Should know in a couple of weeks.

Youth Leaders Coach Board: We're on a mad dash to get ready for the board meeting on Monday and Tuesday. It's going to be incredible, but until then a whole lot of work.

On the Road: After that I'm on the road again with Jeanne, next weekend we're heading to the Unite Conference and then early next month to a conference in Battle Creek Michigan. I think that's where they make one of my favorite cereals ... Frosted Flakes. They're grrrrrrrrrrreat! I wrestled with going to Arkansas with her right after Thanksgiving. Her son, Josh, is hosting his first youth conference. Our brains run on the same channel and at the same speed, so I'd totally love to be there, but I want to be with my family more.

Podcast: youthleaderscoach.com Podcast is up and running on itunes. We've still got a few tweaks to work out with the name and search. I'm on the first and third episodes. I think I'm just now getting comfortable with it.

My Side Job: I lend a consulting hand in the Accounting department. I jumped back six years when I learned they run on Shelby. I could go on and on about databases. Every system I've ever worked with seriously lacked one thing ... a strong connecting of the designers with the daily users. Six years later it's like a flash back from Hades, I can't get the report that works in the format I need. I can get a report with the wrong numbers in the right format ... or I can get a report with the right numbers in the wrong format ... ugh! Fortunately, I don't have to resolve the problem but can tell them to get on the phone with Shelby and have them help figure it out. I love dabbling in accounting stuff, actually more the internal control and systems side, but I wouldn't want to live there.

2 comments:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

I love it! I love hearing all that God is doing. Keep it coming and keep following hard after him.

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate your integrity when dealing with parents. Your first example (Mr. C) may have been clever, but it was an example of deceiving parents by having a hidden agenda. As a parent, that would tick me off. I appreciate the more open, honest approach.

Oh, and for the record, just because a parent isn't christian doesn't mean they aren't concerned with spirituality (or morality, ethics, integrity, etc). ;o)

Rhonda