Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Marriage

Just came off the Cadre Epic's Ladies Breakaway. In addition to doing two two-day Cadre Advances for youth pastors in the mentoring program each year, Jeanne does an additional two-day Cadre Breakaway for their wives (if the Cadre member is a male) and the female Cadre members.

It was a ton of fun, especially when we had a problem with the upstairs bathroom and water came down through the light fixtures into the kitchen ... it wasn't pretty water either if you know what I mean. But, the plumber came and all was good within an hour or two while we continued on. In the meantime, the Master's Commission students who were serving didn't skip a beat. They shut off the lights in the kitchen, moved the food and lit some candles. They are learning how to dance in the rain of adversity when difficulties come their way. It was quite the snapshot.

My main takeaway is that people need help navigating this thing called MARRIAGE. As a single person, most would think I would have been bored to tears during the Q & A where most of the questions centered around marriage. However, I wasn't bored, just PROUD. Proud that while throwing another two-day breakaway into the mix is quite the challenge, the benefits are HUGE. I am pretty convinced that she saved some marriages last night, at a minimum gave others a shot in the arm. She spoke candid, straight up truth on tough, tough questions (some would make you blush). The reality is marriages within the walls of the church are struggling everywhere. And since, in many respects, things flow from the top down ... if we can equip youth pastors and their wives on how to navigate the waters of marriage, then maybe it will ripple on downward.

It was a great couple of days. Master Commission Atlanta Experience (for 18-22 years interested in the MC ATL) is next week and Cadre Litmus and Prestige Ladies Breakaway the week after that ... with a weekend home in between, more great days ahead.

6 comments:

Mark E. Eades said...

Judy,

I would be very interested in some of the questions asked and answered given. Sounds like there was a lot of truth shared and ideas of balancing. Any chance I could get an email about them?

Judy Gregory said...

Mark,
I didn't have my computer out at the time, so I didn't take notes. However, we have another one in a couple of weeks and I would love to do that for you and give a sampling.
JG

Terrace Crawford said...

Judy,

I'd be interested in hearing more myself. Sounds like a very powerful time. Its very sad the state of marriages these days. I want to really prepare myself.

/TC/

judy : ) said...

Judy!
I had a great time in Atlanta this past weekend! It was truly a restoration weekend!! You all treated us like we were Queens!! The MC's were so good to each of us!! Thanks for everything!!

Anonymous said...

My wife cannot wait to be there in a few weeks! Were the wives not following the rule of if it is yellow, let it mellow. If it is brown, flush it down.

Anonymous said...

I love the timing of the plumbing problem since the main challenge of marriage is being able to constantly adjust to the changes within ourselves as people and the changes the world continually brings to our door. At least that's my biggest challenge.

I'm always glad to see people focusing on marriage since it's a huge factor in the stability of relationships and familes IMO.

Personally, I think marriage rocks!

Rhonda
(who's happily married even though the state and federal government refuse to recognize that)