Monday, January 07, 2008

Who Are You Going To Be Judy

Character is a big, big deal to me. There is always some area I'm trying to refine within myself. In some ways, it's a large part of what drives me. I do pretty well in that department, but am always asking Jesus to help me be the best me I can be. The question I privately ask myself is, "Who are you going to be Judy?" ... sometimes I word it ... "Where are you going to land?"
  • When I find myself in the middle of a conversation laced with gossip.
  • When it's easier to twist words in such a way that I look more favorable and the other person looks less.
  • When I have the opportunity to extend grace and mercy or cast judgement.
  • When I have the option to speak up or stay silent.
  • When I have the opportunity to shift blame or own up to my mistakes.
  • When I can give God the glory or take it for myself.

Even in areas like...

  • When I've wanted to blow money left and right (incidently, I'm doing really well in that department since the new year ... buying the mini-fridge and microwave for my office has already saved me over $50 the last seven days alone ... it hasn't paid off the appliances yet, but by the end of the month it will)
  • When I want to eat fast food/junk food (doing better, but still room for much improvement...mini-fridge and microwave are helping)
  • When I want to skip jumping on the treadmill (not doing great in this department)
  • When I want to be lazy and not read (I found that if I keep my current book and Bible next to me at all times, it helps alot)
There's some work to be done, but in time...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great challenge, my friend. I think it is good for all of us to ask ourselves each day, "Who am I going to be?"

Keep 'em coming. And when is Jeanne going to start blogging?

College Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
College Matt said...

Judy i hear you! college gets to me sometimes and i don't feel up to reading or giving God what he deserves. But i just keep working at it and it is going well so far this second semester (all two days of it)

Anonymous said...

Great post!

The best thing about where you're at is that you have the awareness of the work that needs to be done.
That awareness has to be there or no progress will ever be made.

For me, the awareness of everything I need to work on, both personally and in my envirnoment, tends to get overwhelming. I have problems organizing things in my head so I tend to spend more time thinking about what I need to do than actually doing it at times. OK. Most of the time. LOL. That would be something else I need to work on.

I like that you mentioned speaking up vs remaining silent. That can be bigger than many realize.

Have I told you lately how much I respect you? ;o) Character is a biggee and I really appreciate anyone who takes that seriously.

Rhonda