Saturday, January 26, 2008

What I do on the side

When you are apart of a smaller (1,000 compared to 5,000) and less affluent church (let's just say inner city Atlanta is no Granger, Indiana), each person wears a few more hats. So, in addition to doing junior high and Youth Leader's Coach (Cadre, developing product, website, editing resources, conferences, etc.), I oversee the technical arts and accounting departments. It's not hard, I just lend some of my management and leadership skills that way. However, I realized this week I wish I had a few more hours in the day. I kind of still like the accounting stuff.

I developed the budget and presented it to the board Thursday night, in addition to giving them some thoughts on how to cut 5% off expenditures (probably not a big deal up north, but a big, big deal down here). With the exception of Jeanne, all businessmen ... mostly in suits. I think a few of them might of been pleasantly surprised at what I picked up here and there back home, along with my years in auditing. I got a round of applause when I was done. That was awkward and cool at the same time. They were a great group of guys with a huge heart for the local church. Loved it!

5 comments:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

Judy...you are loved!

Bridget said...

Judy!
You are loved and we miss you.
I'm glad that the people in Atlanta are finding out just how great you are.

Anonymous said...

I've never forgotten you chastizing me because I couldn't account for 10 cents in my checking account. I know it was over 20 years ago but it's one of those funny moments that have always stuck in my mind. Accounting is in your blood! LOL.

If I haven't told you lately, you are amazing (and loved and missed).

Rhonda

Anonymous said...

BTW - Denise had surgery last week. She's doing well and is home from the hospital but she'll be off work for the next 6 weeks. Feel free to remember her. :)

Rhonda

Kurt Johnston said...

Judy,
Hope all is well! Hey, shoot me an email 'cause I wanna run something past you.
kj