Sunday, January 13, 2008

Quote of the Day

My friend, Angie, had this cool quote from Greg Paul on her blog. I don't know who Greg is ... my nearest guess is an incredible author whom I should be reading.

“I am sometimes struck by thoughts of the hundreds of lepers Jesus did not heal, the thousands of people who died of ridiculous little infections during his lifetime, the blind or lame beggars who missed his passing by a few hundred yards or a few minutes. He healed so few! And I, who can heal no one, am reminded that being his presence does not mean fixing everything. Being among people means being in their midst, not outside. It means being with them, not being over them. It means not looking away from their agony or humiliation, but beholding it, and having the courage to be also wounded by their pain.” -Greg Paul

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! That is profound! I love it!

I think that people can fall into that trap of expecting to see healing or problems resolved. Sometimes though, I think more learning, more growth and more healing comes from the painful, sometimes chronic experiences we have to deal with.

Just like the lotus flower that blooms out of the muck and mud into a beautiful flower, we too grow and heal through pain. What we don't understand at the moment, often becomes clearer with time.

I think Greg Paul might make an interesting addition to your reading list. ;o)

Rhonda

Terrace Crawford said...

Wow, thats quite the quote there. A lot to chew on.

I've never heard of him either.

/TC/

Angie said...

Greg Paul wrote the book "God in the Alley". I would highly recommend it!