Thursday, March 27, 2008

An Encouraging Word Can Make Your Day Better!

It was just an "ok" day until I got this email from a friend I think the world of back home...

Just wanted to give you a shout out. Was going to comment on your blog (which, btw, I love), but decided to shoot you an email instead.

Sorry I missed you this weekend. Thought I might catch you after the noon service (hey, my spies are everywhere). I've been thinking a lot about how much of an impact you've had on my life. It seems like I'm constantly running into situations where I hear your words of wisdom echoing in my head!


The one that has really come into play a lot lately is "When kids come to us with a problem, they usually aren't looking for an answer. What they need from us is an ear, a hug, and a prayer."

Don't know if it's a coincidence, or if it's the direction God is taking my ministry, but it seems like lately I've had a lot of kids that have come to me with stuff going on in their life. That use to freak me out, because my default mode is to think I have to be the "Answer Guy" and solve the problem, which is just way too much to expect.

Now, though, I hear you saying that, and I just take a deep breath and focus on really hearing them and letting them know I'm there with them in that moment. It is amazing how much of a difference that seems to make for them. It makes me determined to be even more intentional about communicating that I have time for them, that I want to be there.

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you and love you. You are a blessing! I was just talking to some kids this week and they were saying how much they miss you.

When you've made an impact on someones life, even in small ways, and see it ripple out further, it's a cool thing.

Thank you my dear friend for making my day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

still have my 'file' of encouragment... it's always nice to give myself a jolt every now and again... encouragement changes everything! love the new quote in the header... PERFECT! hope you're lovin' atlanta!

Rhonda Redman said...

Love your insight! I know how easy it is to fall into that trap of wanting to solve everyone's problems when what I really need to do is just listen and be there. Thanks for the reminder on that one. ;o)

As for the last post, I knew you'd disagree with some of it. It's cool. It would be scary (for you) if you totally agreed with me. LOL. I think it's a matter of different perspectives and the differences in the type of work we do.

I took DJ to see Hillary Clinton today. I got a whole bunch of cool Mama points! Besides, what an opportunity for her to witness history in the making. Much better than reading about it IMO.

We were wondering how warm it was in ATL as we were standing out there in the cold. LOL.

I'll email you soon. I really need to catch up on my own work. A lot of political excitement here lately. This is definitely my thing!

Let me know next time you come to town.

Phil said...

You've had way more than a small impact, friend!
Definately would like to get together next time you are up. Maybe a group of us Oasis "war-horses" can get together and tell stories!