Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Zowee, what a week and it's only Wednesday

Let me have a moment to brag on my boss before I share nuggets of wisdom. Honestly, Jeanne is quite possible the hardest working person I've ever met (and one of the smartest ones too). I've walked with her through the last few days, not doing the half the hard stuff she's doing. Here's her week...

Sunday
Preached the Sunday morning servie
Did the church luncheon that moved into the Business Meeting
Entertained YLC board members coming into town

Monday and Tuesday
Knocked it out of the park running the board meeting that let's just say was very successful, but went from 9 a.m. until late in the evening.

Wednesday
Preached at Oxygen
Then, spoke with youth pastors/leaders of an Alabama church for over an hour
Then, went out with one of the students in Oxygen for a Coke around 11 p.m. ... can you say, still in the trenches?

Thursday
Among other things, will do do two 2-hour conference calls with youth pastors

This weekend
Is out of town speaking in Houston, then on to Colorado to brainstorm something

So, I know she's exhausted ... shoot, I'm exhausted ... but I sat in tonight on the time with the Alambama leaders. I think I took more note than they did. Here are just a few of the nuggets tossed to them...

One of the leaders asked what the hardest thing she's ever had to deal with. Jeanne went on to talk about her husband getting fired in Rockford. She gave this illustration of what transpired after that using the analogy of corn.

When a kernal of corn falls to the ground, this is what happens...
It becomes invisble in the dirt and, in time, the crusty exterior begins to soften. The starch mixes with the chemicals in the ground and turns it into sugar. From it, a sweetness begins to develop. A sweetness of yourself in Jesus begins to mature. You don't want to grow to fast above ground (that's what weed killer does ... causes it to grow too fast above ground to the point that the root structure can't sustain it). (Note: I totally destroyed that analogy so just read between the lines, you'll get it)

When you're in the spotlight your friends find you, when suddenly you're not, you find your friends.

Not everyone likes a hero but everyone likes someone who makes them feel like a hero.

Most people can't survive their own success. I just choose not to believe my own press reviews.

If you prepare the message and the messanger, God will open up the pulpits.

The largest pulpit is no more annointed than the smallest crowd. How faithful you are with three will detmine how faithful you'll be with 3,000. Success is found in your obedience not in your numbers. Too often we get more caught up in growing our own youth ministry than our own heart for Jesus. Do not despise the day of small beginnings.

My job is to make my leaders heroes.

History will be kind to me because I will write it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some great nuggets there!

I liked "Not everyone likes a hero but everyone likes someone who makes them feel like a hero."